Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richmond, VA orders 4 KME Pumpers
Firesafe91, It looks like 12 1998 Quints and 8 1998 RFV's are still on the rolls. This will change once the 3 Pierce Enforcers are put into service. 

John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
Quote:Firesafe91, It looks like 12 1998 Quints and 8 1998 RFV's are still on the rolls. This will change once the 3 Pierce Enforcers are put into service. 

Thanks John. Any idea if additional rigs will be ordered in the near future?
At least two more pumpers are being ordered shortly.  More money coming in FY2018 that could see a few more.  Probably an aerial in 2019.  The problem is the city CIP doesn't budget for replacement of specific vehicles.  There is simply a lump sum for fleet replacement.  So there may be 4 million dollars one year and then it's a fight between city agencies for who gets what.

Does anyone have an updated list of apparatus and station assignments for Richmond?

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD
It's been about six months now, how are the KME's holding up? We're in the process of ridding the vast majority of our fleet of them, keeping only 1 Tower, 1 Rearmount & 2 Heavy Rescues due to our issues with the MaxxForce engines that were installed in the others. We've started replacing them first with 9 E\-One Metro aerials this year and will continue with 23 new E\-One pumpers. We're taking possession of the prototype in January & assuming everything is fine we're expecting to take possession of the first 11 by September 2017. They will be built on Typhoon chassis & have a custom built pump panel
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.
Reliability wise they have been pretty decent so far.  Most of the issues they have had were quality control related that probably should have never left the factory.  One showed up with an a/c system that wouldn't blow cold, two others had an issue with intake relief valves, and I think one had the power window switches wired so they opened the wrong windows.  In my previous department we had several KME's, a pair of 1994 Firestix 75's and a 2008 engine with a C8 Cat motor in it.  All were pretty terrible.  It seems like KME has gotten better since then but I still feel like they cheap out sometimes on components as well as rush things.  I think the FDNY contract has really stretched them thin but that is just my personal opinion.  I suspect that is what led to them selling out to the REV Group.  Who knows for sure.

What are you guys doing with the pump panel that is out of the ordinary?
Quote:Does anyone have an updated list of apparatus and station assignments for Richmond?

It literally changes by the day anymore.  About to change again in a few weeks once the three new engines are placed in service as well.
Quote:Reliability wise they have been pretty decent so far.  Most of the issues they have had were quality control related that probably should have never left the factory.  One showed up with an a/c system that wouldn't blow cold, two others had an issue with intake relief valves, and I think one had the power window switches wired so they opened the wrong windows.  In my previous department we had several KME's, a pair of 1994 Firestix 75's and a 2008 engine with a C8 Cat motor in it.  All were pretty terrible.  It seems like KME has gotten better since then but I still feel like they cheap out sometimes on components as well as rush things.  I think the FDNY contract has really stretched them thin but that is just my personal opinion.  I suspect that is what led to them selling out to the REV Group.  Who knows for sure.

What are you guys doing with the pump panel that is out of the ordinary?

No so much out of the ordinary, it's almost a retro panel. They're eliminating a LOT of the electronics & getting back to basics. I'll try to take a picture of it when the prototype arrives.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.
Two more Pierce Enforcers will be constructed for Richmond.

John Hinant

Thanks for the update
I wish we could settle in a chassis. The Arrow XT has been good to us so far now something different just because, great. Hope this changes.
OKAY, corrections.. The Richmond 2 additional are Enforcers, due around June 2017.

TK1SQ, Yeah I hear you. Stop switching to something else on very order.  

John Hinant

Thanks Capt.
I can tell you with great certainty that the change to the enforcer chassis is permanent until it changes again.