Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richmond, VA orders 4 KME Pumpers
Article from KME website: http://fire.kovatch.com/info/newswire/ri...hooses-kme
According to the May-June 2014 issue of Fire Apparatus Journal, Richmond also placed an order with Custom Fire for two pumpers on Spartan chassis.

Because of a problem with the City's Procurement department, the order for the Spartan/CustomFire pumpers was cancelled and the order for the KME pumpers was later placed.

The RFD Apparatus Committee completed the engineering meeting on the pumpers last week.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Thanks for the update.
Sad say I was excited to see the Custom rigs.

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
So was the RFD.

Taylor Goodman
So what exactly happened? Seems very fishy when city issues end up with another bidder getting the bid later on.

Not saying anything like that happened, as things do come up. But I wonder why Custom was no longer the favored bidder. Could they not honor the contact any longer?

Kris
I'll allow Alex3610 to add to this if he desires, but the Reader's Digest version is this:  the RFD tagged onto the City of Alexandria's contract, and after the bid was awarded to CustomFire, the City's purchasing department found out that the bid required chassis payment upon delivery.  Richmond purchasing department said, "absolutely not," and cancelled the contract.

Taylor Goodman
They have been delivered yet and the City has ordered three Pierce Enforcers 1500-500 due in about April, 2016.

John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
Final inspection for the KME's scheduled for the week of 12/14.  A guesstimate of an early February 2016 in service date.  Engine companies slated to receive new units (as of today) are 1,5,12, and 22.  Last I heard once they are in service, a few of the FRV's will be purged from the fleet.

I have no date on the enforcers but I would be surprised if they are here before June.  City procurement held up the purchase for quite some time...

The enforcers are now due in July 2016 per the dealer.

Saw a photo of the new KME that will go to E5 on Facebook (D.f. Apparatus Photos). Nice looking rig.
Are the Enforcers going to similar(specs.) to ones in Chesterfield ?

Paul
Hope they are close to the engines we have gotten up to this point.
Quote:Are the Enforcers going to similar(specs.) to ones in Chesterfield ?

Paul

They will be almost identical to the KME's that are due in town soon.
The four KME's have arrived at the dealer. They have to be outfitted with equipment, tools and appliances, delivered to the city, have radios, mdc's and other rf equipment installed, as well be titled and put into the system. Then the companies will be training on them at the Academy and maybe will  be in service by March or April.  As things usually goes, it goes in slow speed. The last word on the Enforcers, was they are waiting to do the pre construction conference, due to a snafu in city hall, which means a longer expect delivery date.

Stay tuned....

John Hinant

Pre-con for the Enforcers was done last week here in town.  They are still slated for mid-July completion so add in a few weeks for miscellaneous delays and I figure we should still see them sometime in August.

The KME's has finally been dedicated and put into service.  The Pierce Enforcer's are now due in September.

John Hinant

The 3 Enforcers, Engine 10, 13, and 17 have arrived and are being outfitted  and training will soon begin, in service after everything is complete. 

John Hinant

How many of the 1998 Pierce quints and Freightliner FRVs are still in front-line service?