Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
second time around FDNY Mack
[quote name='ffemt2638' timestamp='1329683233' post='475329']

I would've bought that Stafford CF, but it would've cost a fortune to repower it due to the motor being blown up!!

[/quote]

Would have been nice if you had better luck than me finding a vocational or tech school to rebuild the diesel.

Stay safe, Brothers.
Kill 'em all, let Allah sort 'em out. NEVER forget 9/11/01 WTC, Pentagon, Pa. Avenge the acts with NO mercy.

Thanks to ALL the Brothers who were there 9/11/01 and afterwards. Words can never say what appreciation we have for you all.
Oceanic in SI has their 1979 Mack ex-FDNY rig up for sale

Don't know if you need any parts but you might be able to work something out with them.
[quote name='tntway' timestamp='1329593259' post='475207']

here's a link for you to check out......

[url="http://www.thefiretruckrescue.com/"]http://www.thefiretruckrescue.com/[/url]

[/quote]

I am surprised they are still in business, I thought the owner of that Company died last year in an accident.
[quote name='john488' timestamp='1331594774' post='477351']

Oceanic in SI has their 1979 Mack ex-FDNY rig up for sale

Don't know if you need any parts but you might be able to work something out with them.

[/quote]

Haven't been around. Just called them 30 seconds ago. It's been sold. And a REAL big shame is that with every 'rinky dink' (no disrespect,just meaning tiny) vollie house being able to get new rigs with homeland security money, Mr. Larry O Taylor is going to let close to 20 engines and tower ladder rust away in his lot, because no one will even think of refurbing a 30+ year old rig. JMO.

Stay safe, Brothers.
Kill 'em all, let Allah sort 'em out. NEVER forget 9/11/01 WTC, Pentagon, Pa. Avenge the acts with NO mercy.

Thanks to ALL the Brothers who were there 9/11/01 and afterwards. Words can never say what appreciation we have for you all.
[quote name='smketrfdny' timestamp='1331936766' post='477687']

Haven't been around. Just called them 30 seconds ago. It's been sold. And a REAL big shame is that with every 'rinky dink' (no disrespect,just meaning tiny) vollie house being able to get new rigs with homeland security money, Mr. Larry O Taylor is going to let close to 20 engines and tower ladder rust away in his lot, because no one will even think of refurbing a 30+ year old rig. JMO.

Stay safe, Brothers.

[/quote]

If it is a Mack CF, and the engine, and frame are in good shape, or a scope, I would refurb rather than buy new.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
[quote name='fyrfoto' timestamp='1331913767' post='477662']

I am surprised they are still in business, I thought the owner of that Company died last year in an accident.

[/quote]I dont know who is running the business. Yes He did drownd in Florida. There are still listings on Ebay. He was buying trucks..strip them of anything useable. He was selling off the motors,and rear ends to trucking companies then scraps the rest making a killing on the aluminum bodies. I have seen some of the rigs he had.. Some very decent ones with a little work would be good for smaller departments..
[quote name='OPEN CAB MACK' timestamp='1331944614' post='477699']

If it is a Mack CF, and the engine, and frame are in good shape, or a scope, I would refurb rather than buy new.

[/quote]

You would, and I tend to agree a bit. But one of the biggest problems with my CF was it rusted more from sitting. Now this guy has over a dozen rigs just sitting there out in the elements as mine was. But I also tend to believe human nature would take something newer, especially if it is free. I do love my Macks, but a 32 year old rig is still a 32 year old rig (and made older by the running and work during the F.D.N.Y. 'War Years"). Tis a shame the Taylor organization has the personality of a rock.

Stay safe, Brothers.

Ahhh Allentown. The unofficial east coast SPAAMFAA holiday!
[quote name='smketrfdny' timestamp='1331936766' post='477687']

Stay safe, Brothers.

[/quote]

I really hope they didn't junk it like the '93 Seagrave
[url="http://www.thefiretruckrescue.com/"]http://www.thefiretruckrescue.com/[/url] is now a dead link
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 (KJV)
Well, things have slowed down. Getting divorced and other issues almost had this rig getting scrapped, for I also lost storage. Last minute finagling, i got storage. Sat in street for 2 days, took an hour to jump it, and moved it to a yard. I know I asked before, but if anyone knows a vocational school, or has time to kill and wants to make a few $$$, drop me a line. Still a sweet rig, but no time to work on it. And I hate to see it sit.

Thanks in advance.

Stay safe,Brothers.

Check with your "Local" Prison system. A lot of times they'll do work at a decent rate.
Maybe in Texas, not here. Too much liability. But THANKS for the heads up. If they do it in Texas on the cheap, I can swing the truck and/or rail fees. Let me know.

Stay safe, Brothers.

Ok, struck out with the Vocational Schools (DAMN!!!). However,through Facebook I came into contact with a kid who wants to get into the business and use my rig as a guinea pig. Trial and error I'm sure, but he has experience doing airplanes and took a totalled Fiero (who remembers them? lolol) added a targe top (which included strengthening the frame), and gave it an awesome paint job. So the kid has a head on his shoulders, and I have many sites to contact should he run into issues. It will be heading to the Rocky Mount, NC area shortly, and I have to find a company to tow it. It's close to 30,000 lbs., so it will have to be a lowboy. He is in Hagerstown, Md now, so it will maybe happen in the spring. If you are on FB, keep an eye on the Mack CF page.

Stay safe, Brothers.

Quote:Ok, struck out with the Vocational Schools (DAMN!!!). However,through Facebook I came into contact with a kid who wants to get into the business and use my rig as a guinea pig. Trial and error I'm sure, but he has experience doing airplanes and took a totalled Fiero (who remembers them? lolol) added a targe top (which included strengthening the frame), and gave it an awesome paint job. So the kid has a head on his shoulders, and I have many sites to contact should he run into issues. It will be heading to the Rocky Mount, NC area shortly, and I have to find a company to tow it. It's close to 30,000 lbs., so it will have to be a lowboy. He is in Hagerstown, Md now, so it will maybe happen in the spring. If you are on FB, keep an eye on the Mack CF page.

Stay safe, Brothers.
Sounds good Jimmy. Contact Cos, he might be able to hook ya up with somebody or he can do it!!
"RIP" Brothers Carter,Phillips,Matthews,Robinson & McRae!!
Quote:Sounds good Jimmy. Contact Cos, he might be able to hook ya up with somebody or he can do it!!

Thanks, Brother. I saw he had a dually. The CF is too big for that. If he knows someone, I am sure he will let me know.

"Grant 1, work 3". LOLOL

Stay safe, Brothers.

Ok, kids in town to look at the CF. With a tape measure, camera and other things, were going to see how much it will cost. As posted, I cut 3 of the 4 compartments, but the typical Mack CF rust at the bottom of the wheel well, along with the inner wheel wells (and stretching into the jump seat area), and the mounts for the compartments have to be redone, will take time. That and the fact that red paint is $400/gallon, it may need about 8-10 gallons.. Once a price is worked out, next step is shipping it to Hagerstown. Will keep ya posted.

Stay safe, Brothers.

OK, the latest isthat the rig WILL stay in NY. The kid thinks it is easier to do the work here than in Maryland. So once I get the ok from the people where the rig is stored, I will build a temporary shelter with some 2x4 or 4x8, and cover the top and sides with tarps. Will also do the bottom to protect the area from paint and primer. Repairs are not as bad as he thought from the pics, biggest expense will be paint and materials.  FINALLY, its moving on...

Stay safe, Brothers.

Well, got my check for the 1st loan..lol (kid wants 10k plus expenses). Should be starting restoration in the next few weeks.  Talking to another Brother on the job who owns a few rigs, I called Larry O Taylor again. Told me to call back in a few days and he will 'see' if bumpers and suction racks are worth selling. Am NOT  holding my breath.

Stay safe, Brothers.

As the soap opera continues, I hope to look back and laugh. I dropped the ball (and some members here have chided me for it.......lol), and still need the 3 piece bumper and suction rack. I called Wysox, PA. and kindly explained what I needed and what for. I knew it would be pissing in the wind, but a Brother at aonther Brooklyn firehouse owns a few himself and actually got parts from there. Was told to call back in a few days, and we can all guess what the answer was. Yes, the parts are not good. Go figure. So, with no one to blame but myself, I have posted on many internet sites looking for what I need. To make matters worse, I now need a place to get the work done. So if anyone knows where in the NYC area I can get a bay big enough for a CF. let me know. The kid is chomping at the bit to start and I need a place. One around the corner, clown doesn't return calls. And anyone in PA know how long it takes to get a title? The FD that owned it doesn't return calls after a month already.

Stay safe, Brothers.