Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seattle Firehouses
Station 41's remodel is complete. An addition was added to the rear of the building and the two apparatus bays were

reconfigured to add some office space and to create one larger bay. Because of the landmark status of the station the contractor

had to save the old apparatus bay doors by incorporating them in the new design. They used one section as a false door and hung

it outside and to the right of the new apparatus bay doors. The other sections were hung as a keepsake on the rear wall of the

new bay.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[quote name='TransverseRoad' date='16 March 2010 - 11:09 PM' timestamp='1268797787' post='370506']

The Station 17 remodel with a large addition being added to the north east side of the building is behind schedule. The engine

and truck will respond out of the new apparatus bays, while the aid car and chief will respond from the old bays on N.E. 50th Street,

when the project is complete.

[/quote]

Transverse, if I'm correct isn't the Aid unit at Engine 17 a "reserve" unit? Did I read a few years ago that after the station is remodeled they want to relocate MED 16 to Engine 17? I could have sworn that they were talking about it.

While I'm on the subject I was wondering if station 14 ever had an Engine company assigned to it as the station certainly seems big enough to house an Engine company?

Thanks, firepost
[quote name='firepost' date='17 March 2010 - 12:13 AM' timestamp='1268808785' post='370521']

Transverse, if I'm correct isn't the Aid unit at Engine 17 a "reserve" unit? Did I read a few years ago that after the station is remodeled they want to relocate MED 16 to Engine 17? I could have sworn that they were talking about it.

While I'm on the subject I was wondering if station 14 ever had an Engine company assigned to it as the station certainly seems big enough to house an Engine company?

Thanks, firepost

[/quote]

You are correct, Station 17 houses a reserve Aid Car. I believe it runs as Aid 86 when activated, but can run out of any station. I've seen it assigned out of

Station 5 several times. As far as Medic 16 moving to 17's, that may have been speculation around the fact that every time the city is looking to save money

Station 16 is mentioned to be expendable.

When Station 14 first opened on Jan 12, 1927, Engine 19, Ladder 7 and Battalion 1 were the first units assigned. Engine 19 and 14 were assigned there together

from May 4, 1931, until April 14, 1933 when E 19 was disbanded for the first time. Engine 14 was disbanded on June 1, 1972, to organize ATTACK 10.
Great pics and good history too TransverseRoad! Thanks for posting those.
[quote name='DaveYoung' date='18 March 2010 - 07:25 PM' timestamp='1268964340' post='370866']

Great pics and good history too TransverseRoad! Thanks for posting those.

[/quote]

Thanks Dave. I have a few more pics that I'll post soon, of two stations under construction on the north end of town. BTW, the former Ladder 1, 2006 Spartan

Crimson TDA has been reassigned as of Dec 31, 2009, to Station 32 in West Seattle, replacing L 11's 1995 Simon Duplex rear mount. L 10's former 1994 TDA

will be assigned to the JTF as a training rig, and L 4's former 1994 TDA will be activated as L 13 sometime this spring, responding out of Station 11. The SFD

2010 budget was increased by $350,000. to fund the temporary deployment of an additional, fully staffed ladder truck. This was done to maintain response times

in West Seattle during the Spokane Street Viaduct Widening Project from the spring of 2010 until the summer of 2011. L 7 will be impacted during the construction

period responding to West Seattle as the second due truck.
It's too bad they can't fund a ladder out of station 11 permanently. Thanks for the good intel as well. I'm hoping one of the stations you have pics of is 39, like the looks of it by the architects drawings.
[quote name='firepost' date='17 March 2010 - 12:13 AM' timestamp='1268808785' post='370521']

Thanks, firepost

[/quote]

I just found out about some news that was made available last year. Station 16's seismic project is slated to begin in 2011, and will convert from two

bays to one. At that time, Medic 16 will be reassigned to station 17.
Station 35 is being built on the site of the original 89 year old station, with completion expected in mid 2010. It's a two story with three deep bays, located on the north end.

Station 39 is being constructed on a site adjacent to the original station, with completion scheduled for mid 2010. It's another two story with three deep bays, also located on the north end of Seattle.

Looking good!
[quote name='DaveYoung' date='23 March 2010 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1269394705' post='372015']

Looking good!

[/quote]

39's should be finished next. The contractor is Howard S. Wright, quality work, on time!
31's was one of the first seismic upgrades to be completed. The home of Engine 31, Ladder 5 and Medic 31, also had an additional bay added.

Are all these two story stations going to have poles or are they taking them out ? I read an article a while back that said the city of Seattle was taking out the poles because they cost to much to install and maintain. Thanks in advance Erik
[quote name='Nozzleman71' date='24 March 2010 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1269471958' post='372180']

Are all these two story stations going to have poles or are they taking them out ? I read an article a while back that said the city of Seattle was taking out the poles because they cost to much to install and maintain. Thanks in advance Erik

[/quote]

Station 10's new house went in with poles. I'll ask around and get back to you, but haven't heard of any poles being removed. Do you have a location where you might have seen that article?
It was on google and it was about station 10 and how it was costing to much to put the poles in the new station 10 and how the city was complaining about it. I just googled it to find it. Thanks for the info.
Most communities are not spending monies on upgrades of existing stations or

building new ones. Seattle seems to be the exception.

Good pictures and information.

tHANKs

tHANKs
[quote name='hank' date='19 February 2010 - 12:42 PM' timestamp='1266607359' post='364983']

Good pictures. I visited Seattle on a business trip and stopped by fire alarm which

at that time (1966) was located under the space needle. The fire alarm operators

made a call and I was taken out to visit the Last Resort Fire Department and they

had a collection of antique apparatus that was top shelf. I don't know if that museum

is still in operation, however, it was really something to see. I would say it was the

best private collection I have ever seen.

tHANKs

[/quote]

Hank:

The Last Resort Fire Dept. is still going strong. Their collection of rigs are all in great shape and most appear ready to respond and go in service with full compliments of period-correct hose, ladders, hand tools, nozzles and turn-outs. Some of the rigs are now parked at the former E10/L1 house in Pioneer Square as part of the fire museum, and the rest are at the organization's garage in Ballard.

The LRFD trucks are the main draw at the annual Seattle Fire Festival. This year's event is in July, here is the webpage for it http://www.lastresortfd.org/Fire_Festival-09.htm .

As for building/remodeling firehouses, Seattle caught a break by having voters approve a property tax levy when times were good. The money for it is segregated from the city's general fund, and as such, is mostly protected from the downturn in tax revenues. The plan is that when all work is completed, all firehouses in the city will be capable of surviving a major earthquake and be able to operate as neighborhood emergency centers. The other parts of this plan were putting hard suction and additional LDH on all engine companies and commissioning a new 108' fireboat with a 24,000gpm pump for the salt water bay that (along with an older 97' boat with a 10,000gpm pump on the fresh water canal) can pump water to virtually any point in the city in the event that an earthquake knocks out water mains.

John
[quote name='Nozzleman71' date='25 March 2010 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1269551672' post='372295']

It was on google and it was about station 10 and how it was costing to much to put the poles in the new station 10 and how the city was complaining about it. I just googled it to find it. Thanks for the info.

[/quote]

Erik,

I read about the fire pole news. It's sad to see another fire tradition fade away.

The state Department of Labor and Industries safety regulation that was adopted in 1996 prohibits the installation of fire poles in new fire stations, with an exception, as long as certain ($expensive$) safety features are provided. This must have been the reason for the ruckus when new station 10 went in with poles. The city officials complained that the installation costs of poles was excessive, priced at $15,000 each. Existing stations, so far, can retain their poles. I've been told the remodeled section of station 17 will retain their poles, and include access to the new apparatus floor.
Station 28 was dedicated in December 2009. It has three bays, only the two on the left are drive through. No poles were installed at this two story station.

Bob Lukas Photo

This view shows a slab placed over the basement of the old station, covering the rain water retension tanks. The water retained will be used to wash the apparatus and for use during company drills.