Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoot me but I had to do it..
Quote:Ok, here are the pics I took yesterday:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://s77.photobucket.com/user/smketrfdny/media/CFC1011_zps0149ba4e.jpg.html'>[Image: CFC1011_zps0149ba4e.jpg]</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://s77.photobucket.com/user/smketrfdny/media/CFC1013_zps53a5bc40.jpg.html'>[Image: CFC1013_zps53a5bc40.jpg]</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://s77.photobucket.com/user/smketrfdny/media/CFC1010_zpsd8c32c73.jpg.html'>[Image: CFC1010_zpsd8c32c73.jpg]</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://s77.photobucket.com/user/smketrfdny/media/CFC1017_zps5863e61f.jpg.html'>[Image: CFC1017_zps5863e61f.jpg]</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://s77.photobucket.com/user/smketrfdny/media/CFC1015_zpsf81bda48.jpg.html'>[Image: CFC1015_zpsf81bda48.jpg]</a>

Sorry I couldn't get a clear one. Ill try later. Moderators, if these are too big, would you please downsize? Not comp savvy. Thank you.

P.S. Does anyone know what type of little red light is on the left side? Thanks.

Stay safe, Brothers. Jimmy that's a marine light on the rear. One each for the rear very hard to get over the last 6 years only one set on E-bay as I need them too. Your going to dig deep to get them but you can take the one of and get something close that will not kill you until on pops up .
Jimmy try a Arrow 35 red as a replacement until you can get the right one about $15 each and looks close but not the same

Quote:Jimmy try a Arrow 35 red as a replacement until you can get the right one about $15 each and looks close but not the same

Googled it. No luck. All I get is LED's. Any suggestions?
Kill 'em all, let Allah sort 'em out. NEVER forget 9/11/01 WTC, Pentagon, Pa. Avenge the acts with NO mercy.

Thanks to ALL the Brothers who were there 9/11/01 and afterwards. Words can never say what appreciation we have for you all.
Sharp looking rig Jimmy.........Got that Cali siren on the front.................Gonna look GREAT when she's topless and painted!

The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
Quote:Sharp looking rig Jimmy.........Got that Cali siren on the front.................Gonna look GREAT when she's topless and painted!

Lets hope so. Now the problem Ihave is finding 10R20 tires. I am all over FB and BigMackTrucks. Cheapest tires my pal found was $400/each. Might have to go to 11R22.5's and make the best of it. Won't be original, but they ride better being tubeless and single piece rims. So word is out here as well, Brothers.

ECC @ E-330 is a sales rep for those sirens., Gotta chrome that thing up. Also need a Hannay twin booster reel and a multi-versal.

Stay safe, Brothers.
Kill 'em all, let Allah sort 'em out. NEVER forget 9/11/01 WTC, Pentagon, Pa. Avenge the acts with NO mercy.

Thanks to ALL the Brothers who were there 9/11/01 and afterwards. Words can never say what appreciation we have for you all.
Quote:Lets hope so. Now the problem Ihave is finding 10R20 tires. I am all over FB and BigMackTrucks. Cheapest tires my pal found was $400/each. Might have to go to 11R22.5's and make the best of it. Won't be original, but they ride better being tubeless and single piece rims. So word is out here as well, Brothers.

ECC @ E-330 is a sales rep for those sirens., Gotta chrome that thing up. Also need a Hannay twin booster reel and a multi-versal.

Stay safe, Brothers.
Jimmy, about 7 years ago or so, we changed out our 10 hundred 20's and went to the 11R22.5's tubeless on our open cab CF.  I know it is not original but it is much better.  My best friend is the Goodyear dealer here in town and I just asked him regarding your problem.  He said that no one worthy is making the bias ply 10 hundred 20's.  Plus, you need to get away from the old split rims.  The tubless  tires are much better and the ride is much better.  We put 6 brand new tires and rims on.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
Quote:Jimmy, about 7 years ago or so, we changed out our 10 hundred 20's and went to the 11R22.5's tubeless on our open cab CF.  I know it is not original but it is much better.  My best friend is the Goodyear dealer here in town and I just asked him regarding your problem.  He said that no one worthy is making the bias ply 10 hundred 20's.  Plus, you need to get away from the old split rims.  The tubless  tires are much better and the ride is much better.  We put 6 brand new tires and rims on.
\

I am 99% certain that is going to be the way to go. I am going to give it a few days and see what pops up. Some connections on FB are looking, and I found stuff on the internet. Should nothing pan out. keep an eye on 6 11R22.5 rims that fit a Mack Smile.

Stay safe, Brothers

Accuride site...  http://www.accuridewheelendsolutions.com...omponents/

Used rims...    http://www.marylandtruck.com/usedparts.php?part=5800
Any updates Jimmy?

Tires were ordered. With much internet searching, phone calls and messages on numerous FB pages, my pal Rob @ Nassau Fire got me tires, flaps and tubes for $345 each. More than I wanted to spend, but no choice. New tires, fluids and filters changed and now have to get a hold of Andy Lieder who is renting me space up in Goshen. I may keep it somewhere local (covered of course) until I can make arrangements for painting. After buying this rig, a new 2013 Passat Diesel, and a 98 Jetta diesel to commute with, I am broke. lol. I still have $4k waiting for me through the morons of the a$$hole vollie house I was a member of , so I may put that towards the paint. I was going to save it for the 1980 CF, but I can do it here. Will keep you posted.

Stay safe, Brothers.

Ok, gave Nassau Fire the final $1000 for the tires. Looked at it yesterday with painter to compound a spot to try and remove oxidation. Officers door and fender are severely cracked and flaking off. Looks like a repaint. Suggested to me was sandblasting the rig (with a soft solution so as not to warp the metal), followed by a paint job, of which Sherwin Williams was recommended. As anyone here knows this stuff, ALL the lights, labels, et al. have to come off. Hopefully my pal can work out a deal with the blaster and save me some money. I also think a coat or 3 of clear coat will make her shine. As for mechanical, as posted, fluids will be changed, filters will be changed, electrical system checked along with the brakes.The manual throttle and shutdown need work, as well as the accelerator pedal. She was blowing white smoke at idle, which scared me. Bob threw in some fuel oil to loosen up the rings,which I hope does the trick with a nice long run down the Long Island Expressway. Still need some parts, like the Dietz 212 light and the flashers on the rear, which looked similar to the ALF flashers but had a different housing. Need a Hannay double booster reel as well. Hope you enjoyed the update.

Stay safe, Brothers.

Jimmy,

Did you contact the guy who's link i sent you about the rear lights?

Quote:Jimmy,

Did you contact the guy who's link i sent you about the rear lights?

Sorry, Brother. I did not. With so many FB entries it fell into the bowels of FB land...lol if you still have it, would you mind emailing it to smketrfdny@gmail.com? Thanks much.

Stay safe,Brothers.

Sounds like you need some more MSOT............. Stirpot

Quote:Sounds like you need some more MSOT............. Stirpot

That, my dear friend from Chauffeur school, is an UNDERSTATEMENT.. LMAO.

Stay safe, Brothers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Mack-Fire-T...3a87d4dda5

Quote:do you have any photos of e290

Look under this thread for "Second time around FDNY Mack".

Stay safe, Brothers.

Well, Brothers. It has been awhile. I spend a lot of time on FB, and looking back this is still a GREAT site. As for the Pomona CF, it has sat for awhile.  With my quick divorce that took over 3 years (B***h), and the fact that the rig sat since I had it, I was going to sell it and give it to someone who could do the right thing. Well, a few weeks ago I get pic of the rig finally being worked on. Beggars cant be choosers, and with parts and labor worked off in emergency vehicle drop off and delivery, the last thing I would ever do is complain. The paint is shot on the officers side, but to appease people (can't say names, but it rhymes with '1958FWD'..lol. Was told I have to remove everything for blasting if needed, but another buff (and a FDNY EMS MOS) had his rig done with plastic media and left everything on. I'll investigate. Tires were purchased (radial ply, ARE YOU HAPPY, RANDY??? LOL) for $2100, all fluids and filters changed, new batteries (used but MINT condition), engine stop adjusted and a few minor things will be done.

While never good with tools. its time to buy some. The B & M siren will be removed and polished out, and sent to CA for repair if needed. I looked under the Boss' seat and found a route book. I'd like to find out how long it was in service to date the book. I haven't decided to letter it Pomona, but I have the pics of the outlines to redo should I go that way. Found indoor storage upstate since I am looking to move there, and I hope to have it out for a few shows, repainted or not. Still need a Hannay top mount twin booster reel and that damned Carpenter rear flasher. Ill post pics later.

Stay safe, Brothers.

Stirpot You act as if I was the only one whispering what to do in your ear.....................

Now.....The trick is to find someone who not only WILL remount the new tires onto the old 3-piece rims; but is old-school enough to be able to do it properly (and safely.) And you'll thank me in the morning for kicking you in the keester to make sure you got tube-type radials.....you want NOTHING to do with bias-ply tires, "purist" or not. That's one thing I am willing to compromise on any restoration.

As far as the paint goes, you need to do what you feel is right. I for one, like an original paint job- that driver's door came out pretty good. But if the other side is as bad as you say it is, compounding/buffing may not cut it. And you can't just repaint one door or compartment and not mismatch the rest of the truck. If you blow paint, it's an "all-or-nothing" decision. And it's not a cheap one either- no matter what paint you use- Sherwin Williams, DuPont or my favorite- PPG "Durethane"; it's going to cost you. The more prep you do on your own, the cheaper obviously.

Quote: Stirpot You act as if I was the only one whispering what to do in your ear.....................

Now.....The trick is to find someone who not only WILL remount the new tires onto the old 3-piece rims; but is old-school enough to be able to do it properly (and safely.) And you'll thank me in the morning for kicking you in the keester to make sure you got tube-type radials.....you want NOTHING to do with bias-ply tires, "purist" or not. That's one thing I am willing to compromise on any restoration.

As far as the paint goes, you need to do what you feel is right. I for one, like an original paint job- that driver's door came out pretty good. But if the other side is as bad as you say it is, compounding/buffing may not cut it. And you can't just repaint one door or compartment and not mismatch the rest of the truck. If you blow paint, it's an "all-or-nothing" decision. And it's not a cheap one either- no matter what paint you use- Sherwin Williams, DuPont or my favorite- PPG "Durethane"; it's going to cost you. The more prep you do on your own, the cheaper obviously.

Drivers door was NOT done. I haven't touched any part of it since I got it, that's how it was delivered. As you saw in the pics, the paint on the officers side is chipping away in more than one spot. When ya come up, you can meet Rob. Not much he does NOT know about 3 piece rims and everything else. His guy Kurt has been painting 35 years and I also respect that knowledge. You and your dad know a Hell of a lot as well, and I sure as Hell wish I did. Paint is anywhere from $400-800/gallon for paint , and another Mack owner on FB told me he had his stripped his rig with plastic media and did not have to remove the gauges on the pump or the dashboard. Waiting to hear from him. That old style diamond plate is going to be painted, I could imagine the cost chroming that.

The grab rails, bumper, and a few other parts will be removed and rechromed. Get your wife a weekend off and you can help take the gauges out for rechroming ... lol

Stay safe, Brothers.