Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FDIC 2017
Quote:Keep your eye on Marion. they build the cabs for spartan, smeal and farrara, It could throw aa wrench in the works if someone else bought them. 

That would be very interesting.  They build cabs for Rosenbauer as well.
Quote:KME's aerials started as Grumman aerial line I believe.

HME uses RK aerials.

HME is now building their own...  have been slowly expanding the line for about two or three years.

https://www.firetrucks.com/articles/hme-...erial-line
Quote:And Rosenbauer also uses RK aerials?

Rosenbauer is now a principal or at least half owner of RK, and in fact would prefer the company to be referred to as Rosenbauer Aerials.  RK was the branding used for builders that bought their products for their needs outside of the Rosenbauer umbrella.  I believe no one now is able to use RK aerials unless maybe Darley and Marion?  I'm sure I was told that they have enough of their own orders now that they don't want or need the outside business.

When Rosenbauer aligned with General Safety and Central States, they were essentially 50-50 partnerships with the Boer's and the Kirvida's that owned each shop. As far as I know that partnership still exists,and also exists with RK (Kreikemeier's).  The only subsidiary's wholly owned in the states by Rosenbauer are the chassis and ARFF divisions.  Again, this could have changed since I was selling their stuff, as its been quite a while now.  http://www.rosenbaueramerica.com/who-we-...er-aerials

Quote: 

Rosenbauer is now a principal or at least half owner of RK, and in fact would prefer the company to be referred to as Rosenbauer Aerials.  RK was the branding used for builders that bought their products for their needs outside of the Rosenbauer umbrella.  I believe no one now is able to use RK aerials unless maybe Darley and Marion?  I'm sure I was told that they have enough of their own orders now that they don't want or need the outside business.

When Rosenbauer aligned with General Safety and Central States, they were essentially 50-50 partnerships with the Boer's and the Kirvida's that owned each shop. As far as I know that partnership still exists,and also exists with RK (Kreikemeier's).  The only subsidiary's wholly owned in the states by Rosenbauer are the chassis and ARFF divisions.  Again, this could have changed since I was selling their stuff, as its been quite a while now.  http://www.rosenbaueramerica.com/who-we-...er-aerials

This could explain why the last couple year at the Alexis open house there has been an HME quint demo on display. Alexis was using RK for their platforms.

What is the general concession on the quality of an RK ladder?
Quote: 

This could explain why the last couple year at the Alexis open house there has been an HME quint demo on display. Alexis was using RK for their platforms.

I also think that Alexis is now a dealer for HME in the Illinois, Indiana area.
Stephen Taylor

Retired Volunteer Firefighter
Retired Career Fire Dispatcher
Yarmouth Fire Department
Yarmouth, N.S. Canada
Quote:I also think that Alexis is now a dealer for HME in the Illinois, Indiana area.
This is definitely true.  

My prediction (based on nothing more than my fat gut) is that Alexis and HME are forming a nice alliance, and when Alexis' owner decides he's done, HME will buy him out.  Everything I've heard is his offspring have no interest in the business.  Jeff Morris is a very nice guy, but I suspect he's getting to an age he'd like to enjoy some sort of retirement.

Quote: 

I'm biased on the RK stuff because I sold it. I think it competes well enough with the likes of a Pierce or a Smeal.  When they integrated the smart aerial stuff from the euro line of Rosenbauer aerials (Metz) that made the RK product something pretty special (envelope control so you wouldn't overload the thing while short jacked, etc.) that no one else at the time was offering.  Not sure if other builders offer something that competes or not now.

I've always been impressed because Rob wasn't afraid to try new stuff.  There was a four section 104' tower, when people complained about the four sections he did a three section 101 footer (I may have the exact dimensions off).  He was doing an 80 footer when no one else was anymore, it wasn't well marketed but it was there.  The fact that they were willing to go after the articulating boom business with Chicago was a brave move, and all indications are that the RK units on the squads run smoother and "easier" than a Snorkel did or does.  They still have a very wide aerial line to offer customers.  The hot dipped aerials, torque box and outriggers is kind of ugly, but offers a really strong warranty against corrosion for something as expensive as a ladder.

I'm not sold on the seated aerial operator thing, but that's just me.

Having said that, other builders may offer some products that have more to offer, and since I'm not selling anymore - I'm not "up" on everyone else's stuff like I once was.
The plot has thickened.

That could be an upgrade for one or a down grade for the other. I'll let you decide.

Nobody has "unveiled" a 107-foot TDA....yet.  Wink

Look for another REV acquisition to possibly be announced soon. 

I have also heard that the Spartan ER aerials are going bye-bye.  The Smeal and LTC aerials will remain, with exception to only LTC doing the tillers. 

Also look for a new proprietary Squrt-like device from another manufacturer soon. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY

Quote:Nobody has "unveiled" a 107-foot TDA....yet.  Wink

Look for another REV acquisition to possibly be announced soon. 

I have also heard that the Spartan ER aerials are going bye-bye.  The Smeal and LTC aerials will remain, with exception to only LTC doing the tillers. 

Also look for a new proprietary Squrt-like device from another manufacturer soon. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY

To your REV comment, as I said the plot thickens.  Perfect timing for an FDIC announcement too.  It's not Seagrave, not Sutphen, not HME, not Alexis, not SVI...

The Smeal TDA product is essentially gone at this point.  I believe the last one produced was for Ashburn VA wrapped in Ferrara clothing.  So the LTC line and the rest of the Smeal aerials minus the TDA will be offered across the Spartan ER and Smeal lines.

I had heard that a certain manufacturer was planning a Squrt or Tele-Squrt like device that starts with S and ends in eagrave but I can't confirm that, purely a rumor thus far.

Should make for an interesting FDIC indeed.  Bummed I won't be out there this year.
Well a photo was leaked for a brief period of time the big unveil for brand p is rather tame in comparison to years past

Anyone see the E\-One Metro 100 quint posted by REV on their FB page?
Quote:Well a photo was leaked for a brief period of time the big unveil for brand p is rather tame in comparison to years past

What was it?
Starting to see the manufactures posting pics of what trucks they are bringing on Facebook.

Sutphen just announced a 108' rearmount straight stick quint

https://www.facebook.com/sutphencorporat...1003235677
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Quote:Sutphen just announced a 108' rearmount straight stick quint

https://www.facebook.com/sutphencorporat...1003235677
Must have been a whoops cause it's not up on their page any more.
Sutphen's website lists SLR108 on the available demos page.
Here's a sneak peak of appartus being moved in....

http://www.fireapparatusmagazine.com/art...art-2.html

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
I see Brownsberg Indiana still cant decide what brand they like.