Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FDIC 2017
I hope its more of a show stopper than the Sutphen 75ft one was they made a big deal about last year

I'm here now. The sutphen stick is a mess. The Pierce ascendant tower is a rescue platform only, has no monitor in the bucket. You're crazy to buy a tower ladder without a monitor, I don't care what manufacturer you like.
Anyone taking / posting pics??
The Pierce Ascendant single axle tower absolutely DOES have a monitor. Its just not mounted to the bucket. Its at the tip of the aerial ladder itself, UNDER the bucket

<p class="bbc_center">Kevin White

Fireground Photographer

www.KDWFirePhotos.com
Quote:The Pierce Ascendant single axle tower absolutely DOES have a monitor. Its just not mounted to the bucket. Its at the tip of the aerial ladder itself, UNDER the bucket

That would make it very difficult if not impossible to point the monitor UP above the horizon.  (Think FDNY sidewalk sweep).  For me, that's a huge reason for owning a platform in the first place.  As I always say, there is always a trade-off somewhere.
It has a monitor just like you'd have on a stick, not in the bucket. The bucket is small and chintzy, like you'd find on a scissor lift. Can't put it on the ground, or even horizontally to throw water in a building. The only thing it has over a stick is a very basic small platform.
I wonder what the pricing range is with this truck. Considering it's a first to market kind of truck with relatively no competition, it's got to be up there.

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Quote:I wonder what the pricing range is with this truck. Considering it's a first to market kind of truck with relatively no competition, it's got to be up there.
It isn't the first to market.  Rosenbauer has had the Metz on the market for years that does much of what the new Pierce does.  Pierce slammed it for years, and is now basically building a similar concept.  Yes, I know there are a number of differences, but there are also similar design cues.

I would be very curious what kind of equipment load allowance there is on a single axle Ascendant bucket so you stay under GVW limits.

One thing I have heard is that the new Ascendant tower MOVES a lot (i.e. flex) more than a conventional bucket.
Quote:It isn't the first to market.  Rosenbauer has had the Metz on the market for years that does much of what the new Pierce does.  Pierce slammed it for years, and is now basically building a similar concept.  Yes, I know there are a number of differences, but there are also similar design cues.

I was actually going to mention Metz, and I'm a fan. I think I should clarify, I mentioned "first to market", in regards to the lack of true competition.

I think the Metz is an excellent ladder used around the world with many unique features that I hear many good things about, but as long as they don't have the compartment space, it's no competition with FD's in the US. I know they've come out with ones that have increased compartment space, and don't know what the weight limits are on either when you add the equipment that goes in the compartments. There's also the culture shock, with it being foreign and the Pierce being a brand people are comfortable with. They've had a decade to catch on here, and haven't. So, that's why I feel Pierce is "first to market" with this type of truck for the US market.

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
I agree, I wasn't overly impressed with the 110' platform. I remember last year looking at the 107' stick. They had it setup full extended straight out to the side. The ladder was bouncing alot as people where climbing up and down to look at the controls. Personally I'd rather have the second axle and set of outriggers.

The new 108 rear mount from Stuphen was different. Has ALOT of overhang beyond the rear axles. Will have horrible rear cramp angles.

We were out there looking at stuff for a new rescue we are specing. The Duluth, Mn rescue from Custom Fire and the MVP rescue pumper that Ferrara had there were probably 2 of the best laid out, best use of space trucks I've seen.

Also looked at different ladder trucks. I wasn't fond of the RK ladders that Rosenbauer uses. After messing with the E One trucks they had on display, I was pretty impressed with them but we are a couple years out for replacing ours. I have several pics on my phone that I havent gotten off yet to post.

Quote:I agree, I wasn't overly impressed with the 110' platform. I remember last year looking at the 107' stick. They had it setup full extended straight out to the side. The ladder was bouncing alot as people where climbing up and down to look at the controls. Personally I'd rather have the second axle and set of outriggers.

The new 108 rear mount from Stuphen was different. Has ALOT of overhang beyond the rear axles. Will have horrible rear cramp angles.

We were out there looking at stuff for a new rescue we are specing. The Duluth, Mn rescue from Custom Fire and the MVP rescue pumper that Ferrara had there were probably 2 of the best laid out, best use of space trucks I've seen.

Also looked at different ladder trucks. I wasn't fond of the RK ladders that Rosenbauer uses. After messing with the E One trucks they had on display, I was pretty impressed with them but we are a couple years out for replacing ours. I have several pics on my phone that I havent gotten off yet to post.
On the Sutphen SLR108, the rear most compartment is "optional" and would give a lot better departure angle.