Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KME plant tour
Couldn't agree more on the comments about computers and electronics. I truly believe in the "Keep It Simple Stupid" method. When rigs were simple guys in house could fix them for the most part. Or the diesel mechanic down the street could. Now we have every fancy thing you can imagine on fire apparatus and it is consistently broken or not working correctly. Heck in our area I feel the local shops are way in over there heads when working on modern fire apparatus. I also don't understand how all these electronics and water (occassionally used in the fire service) can possibly be good for one another. I'll take a Hahn, Mack or Seagrave any day over this new stuff.
[quote name='drfeelgood' timestamp='1355508876' post='505430']

My department has bought units from the "best" manufacturers throughout the years and I have worked on all types of rigs in a past life and I can say they all have issues. I take "service after the sale" and a manufacturer's willingness to fix issues quickly and admit the mistake as a buying decision on rigs.

Truckman I agree that all the factories are all the same

[/quote]

Dr. you hit the nail on the head with service after the sale. With all of the electronics and EPA crap, etc. all apparatus will have problems. Our last piece was purchased in 2004 (a Pierce) and its had its issues and continues to have issues. Other departments have had issues with Crimson, Ferrara and E\-One. Our next piece will more than likely be a Pierce because their service center is 15 minutes away and when you call, a technician is in the firehouse within the hour to diagnose and fix the problem on site if possible. This reduces downtime dramatically. All I as a consumer ask for is service.
[quote name='GA_Dave' timestamp='1355410507' post='505351']

Maxim had this as far back as 1970, if not earlier.

[/quote] If I'm not mistaken it was called "Top-Trol".
Boston chassis for their new ladder. Two were outside, The one that is going to FDIC was inside and I didnt get a shot of it....

Attached Files Image(s)

This was a nice ride.....No specs on it- was a quick inspection trip....

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:This was a nice ride.....No specs on it- was a quick inspection trip....
2000/300/103'
I'm looking forward to seeing the Boston Trucks all finished up. 

BOSTON ladders   no "sunken " roof to allow for low clearence! The latest Eone rear mounts have them specifically due to numerous issues of station clearences  cant wait to see....aaaaah da hope I'm wrong

Are the Boston towers rearmounts or midmounts? If midmounts then that would explain the lack of the notched cab.

Quote:Are the Boston towers rearmounts or midmounts? If midmounts then that would explain the lack of the notched cab.

They aren't towers. They are KMEs 109' aerilcat rearmount ladders. They have 3 of them on order. The towers they do have however, will need replacement soon, in which Id imagine theyd get rearmounts again. The midmounts are just too big
<p class="bbc_center">Kevin White

Fireground Photographer

www.KDWFirePhotos.com
Quote:They aren't towers. They are KMEs 109' aerilcat rearmount ladders. They have 3 of them on order. The towers they do have however, will need replacement soon, in which Id imagine theyd get rearmounts again. The midmounts are just too big

Quote:knowing KME they probably told them they would fit.
The new ladders are 11' 6" high....You don't have three stations that can fit that high? :-) From the drawing I have the new ladders look pretty nice...

Great posts Bruce, thanks for sharing!

Russell Pascoe

Brampton, Ontario

Canada

[url="http://ottawafirepics.blogspot.com/"]http://ottawafirepics.blogspot.com/[/url]

[url="http://torontofire.blogspot.com/"]http://torontofire.blogspot.com/[/url]

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
Quote:The new ladders are 11' 6" high....You don't have three stations that can fit that high? :-) From the drawing I have the new ladders look pretty nice...

Well, except for that grille maybe Stirpot  haha

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.