Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposed GA Bill to arm Firefighters?
Found this on the local CBS affiliate website and didn't know where to post it here.
So, mods please move this if its not in the right forum.

Now, I'm all for protecting FFs, but, I am concerned about securing the weapons while on the fireground. Obviously, I wouldn't want to have a sidearm on my person while going into a burning structure. Fire is not a good friend of gunpowder. Installing a lockbox within the cab of rigs, might be a solution, but, the bad guys will know and try to steal them while FFs are away from rig.

Prior to moving to NC, I grew up in the los Angeles area, and departments out there, staged one block out and waited until PD said it was clear.

Just looking for your input on the subject. Especially GADave's take on it.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/national/ar...s-On-Duty-

Thanks
Not a good idea as far as I am concerned. This is why we have police officers, we will not be allowing it if the bill passes.

As a police officer who used to be a volunteer firefighter this would be bad in my eyes.... AS mentioned it is hard to secure a weapon while fighting as fire. I have seen some rigs with lockboxes on them, but then someone must also remain in the vicinity of the rig.  Another problem I can see is having a holster underneath bunker gear on non fire calls.  Very uncomfortable, and very difficult to get the weapon out of the holster if needed.  Better to stage away and await PD

Okay, but remember, you asked for it.

I believe that everyone should have the right to decide to carry or not to carry, not their employer.  Protecting yourself is a God-given right, protected by the U.S. Constitution.  Who is your employer to deny you that right?  His happy ass won't be anywhere around when things go sideways.  His policies exist primarily to be politically correct, pressured by those who are afraid of guns.  Many of my former co-workers are gun owners and hunters.  Years ago, it was common practice for guns to be in the station, brought in for cleaning or repairs or modifications on our downtime.  Never once did anything bad happen.  This practice is now forbidden, because some citizen saw a gun and got scared and then politicians got involved.

Standard procedure on some incidents, based on the type of call or info received by Dispatch, PD is sent in first to clear the scene while we stage.  Many incidents are not that way, because there is nothing obvious to make you think it could be a bad situation.  The incident in Gwinnett County was simply a sick call.  The one in West Webster, NY was just a house fire call.  Things can go sideways (defecation striking the oscillating rotator) without warning.  When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away!

One of my former co-workers carried all the time.  When we rode together, I always asked him where he was carrying it, so if he was the first one shot, I could return fire.  Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of our calls were not anything to be worried about, but it only takes one to get you killed.

Now, do I think this new legislation will pass?  Probably not.  If it does, will anything change?  Again, probably not, because politically correct officials will keep the same policies in effect now, just like in Gwinnett County.  Will more Firefighters be caught in bad situations?  I have no doubt!