Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I post a reply . . .
. . . to a post?  I have answers to questions that are asked in posts but I don't know how to reply to them.  All I see is "Quote" & "Multi quote."

Just scroll down to the big box under the "Quote" and "MultiQuote" buttons and type your reply there.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:. . . to a post?  I have answers to questions that are asked in posts but I don't know how to reply to them.  All I see is "Quote" & "Multi quote."

If you click "Quote", it opens a reply box that quotes the poster that made the post, just like this post.

If you do not want to quote the reference that you are replying to, there is a general reply box at the bottom of the page.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
I clicked on "Quote" at the bottom of the post to which I wanted to reply.  I was taken to the bottom of that page to the "Reply to this topic" box.  I typed my response & clicked "Post."  My post appeared at the bottom of the last page without referencing the post to which I was referring, which made my comments idiotic without a point of reference.  What am I doing wrong?

Quote:I clicked on "Quote" at the bottom of the post to which I wanted to reply.  I was taken to the bottom of that page to the "Reply to this topic" box.  I typed my response & clicked "Post."  My post appeared at the bottom of the last page without referencing the post to which I was referring, which made my comments idiotic without a point of reference.  What am I doing wrong?

Click quote like I did and it has what you are replying to about your words.
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
The only "Quote" I see is in the bottom right corner of your post, next to "MultiQuote."  Clicking on "Quote" takes me to the bottom of the page to "Reply to this topic."  When I type a reply and press "Post" it sends it to the bottom of the page, under your post, with no words in a box like yours.  Tried at least three times.  Thanks anyway.

Try this.  It might be an IE 11 issue

http://www.firepics.net/groupboards/index.php?showtopic=21004&p=528719

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
If "Reply pane" = the "Reply to this topic" box, left-clicking on the "BBCode Mode" icon darkened all the other icons.  Maybe it's a R2D2/C3PO conflict. 

Quote:The only "Quote" I see is in the bottom right corner of your post, next to "MultiQuote."  Clicking on "Quote" takes me to the bottom of the page to "Reply to this topic."  When I type a reply and press "Post" it sends it to the bottom of the page, under your post, with no words in a box like yours.  Tried at least three times.  Thanks anyway.

All I did for this to appear was click on the "Quote" button, and it placed the quote in the box above my reply.  Does this happen only in one specific browser, or multiple?
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Clicked on "Quote" at the bottom of your post.  Did not appear here.  It occurs (or, rather, doesn't) in all posts in this forum.  I don't have this problem with any other forum/site.

Do you visit other sites that use Invision Power Board software (most use vBulletin or phpBoard)?  It appears that you are the only one experiencing this, which leads me to believe it is a browser issue.  There have been many IE 11 glitches.  Which browser are you using, and have you tried others?

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Tried it with Firefox & it works.  Been using IE 11.  Thanks very much.