Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Municipal Snowplows
I thought we had this topic already, but I guess not. One of my favorite kind of trucks are municipal snow plows/sanders.

I'll start with this shot, two generations of NYS*DOT Internationals.

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Good photo!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Wow those blades have some curl to them! Have you seen the plow "trailers" Seth? I believe Iowa DOT may be using a couple.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:Wow those blades have some curl to them! Have you seen the plow "trailers" Seth? I believe Iowa DOT may be using a couple.

Trav!

Iowa is using them up around Des Moines. Also Missouri as a couple.

Connecticut DOT truck 3-1892, a 1999 Freightliner with a Heil body and integral auger chain.  The side dump on the passenger side raises up to facilitate moving of material to the augur chain side.  Equipped with an external 100 gallon calcium tank that hangs on the tailgate.  Four way reversible angle plow.  Truck in the backround is truck 3-1789, a 1997 Freightliner with similar specs.  3-1892 is still in front-line service, while 3-1789 had its dump body replaced and continues to serve as a spare.

Indiana has the trailers also

The trailers everyone is talking about are called tow plows.  Towed behind a conventional plow truck, hydraulic controls turn the wheels, drop the blade and activate the augur chain.  These behemoths can clear two and a half lanes in one shot.  That I know of Mass., Penn., Missouri, and Iowa uses these.  Granted, they do a good job, but in heavy traffic areas they are not effective.  A echelon of plows will do provide the same results.  If you want my opinion, these tow plows are the DOT's answer to fire service quints, do more with less.

For those interested, you tube has a bunch of videos showing the tow polws in action'

the  Maryland  SHA uses these  in Western Md with good  results

Here's a good and quick video explaining the tow plow and showing it in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh6vhzVT3Zc
Seth Granville
Town Of Greenburgh, NY Highway Department
Truck 23
2009 Mack Granite 4x4/Henderson Munibody (Spreader and chemical applicator intergrated into dump body) and Henderson Heavy Duty Plow

Seth Granville
DSNY (New York City Department Of Sanitation)

M12-38AC-001

2012 Mack MR Plow-Spreader Unit

Seth Granville
It's that time of year again!

New York State Thruway Authority #1580
2015 Western Star 4700
Equipped with Viking-Cives Plow frame and hoists, and Smith Spreader

Seth Granville
City of Ottawa, Ontario runs a fleet of over 500 plows, salt trucks and sidewalk maintenance units.  I believe the fleet may be close to 600 pieces.  I have managed to shoot a few rigs at the various yards when we fuel up the fire rigs, but usually don't have the info on them like I would for a fire truck. Sometimes they might not have the plows attached, but I am working on getting more of them.

First up is one of the older Internationals.  

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Newer International

International with an underbody scraper and salt box.

One of the newer Macks.  I should note that most of the fleet are equipped with live bottom dump box/salt spreader. We use a lot of salt as you can guess by the pictures!

Another Mack.  International accounts for the majority of the fleet, with a bunch of Macks, Sterlings and Peterbilts thrown in there as well.

Mack drivers side

And one more for now.

One of the many City of Ottawa yards.