Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairfax County (VA) Fire Station Fire
At approximately 12:45 am on Sunday, May 14, 2017,  Fairfax County (VA) Fire and Rescue personnel assigned to Fire Station 26 (Edsall Road) were alerted by the station’s fire alarm system to an active fire in the rescue company’s apparatus bay.  After all personnel were accounted for, active fire suppression operations were initiated as well as the request for a first alarm to FS26 and a subsequent second alarm was struck.

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:'Times New Roman';color:rgb(0,0,0);"> 

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:'Times New Roman';color:rgb(0,0,0);">It <i>appears</i> that the fire originated in the cab of Rescue 426 (the numeral 4 designates it is from Fairfax County in the National Capitol Regional Response Plan), spreading to the rest of the vehicle and eventually the apparatus bay. 

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:'Times New Roman';color:rgb(0,0,0);">Station 26 was the third firehouse built by Fairfax County in the 1970’s when it became apparent that volunteers were not going to be able provide sufficient coverage to the rapidly developing and growing county.  Station 26’s design was such that the living quarters are in the center of the building and flanked on either side by apparatus bays.  If memory serves me that the living quarters of the station were fitted with an automatic sprinkler system.  The Edsall Road fire station is home to an engine company, a heavy rescue company that is part of the hazardous materials response team and an ALS transport unit.  Also, due to the station’s proximity to the Interstate 95-395-495 interchange, aka “the mixing bowl” and the Newington tank farm, a foam unit is also quartered there, cross-staffed by the engine company as needed.  A third bay was added to the “engine side” in the 1990s to house the larger foam apparatus.

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:'Times New Roman';color:rgb(0,0,0);">All personnel are accounted for and uninjured.  Also, fire station fire history in the county repeats itself: In January 1997, a fire broke out in the cab of Rescue 14’s apparatus at the Burke Fire Station essentially destroying the old FS14. 

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:'Times New Roman';color:rgb(0,0,0);">There are plenty of pics on the interweb; I'm not going to steal them to post here.  Link to coverage here …

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:'Times New Roman';color:rgb(0,175,205);"> 

<p style="margin-left:48px;font-size:16px;font-family:'Times New Roman';color:rgb(0,0,255);">https://www.statter911.com/2017/05/14/tw...e-station/