Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading PA Fire Dept
I was checking out the Reading PA FD website and was wondering what the "jumpers" do?

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD
If I'm not mistaken, a "jumper" is a firefighter who moves around from station to station to fill where needed each day rather than always working a "permanent" station/company assignment.

Thanks, I was also wondering how often they have more than 2 on the apparatus, if ever.

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD
Not sure, but my guess would be not very often.

I believe, and don't quote me on this, Last year a recruit class was hired, I believe with SAFER grant funding that allowed a 3rd person to be put on some if not all apparatus.  There are some members of the RFD that are members on here.  I'm sure they could provide a more thorough answer.

Rob Pryor, Captain

Wilmington, DE Fire Department

Firefighter, Five Points Fire Company, New Castle County, DE Station 17

http://www.facebook....p?id=1435317177

In Memory of Lieutenant Chris Leach, Engine 6-D, Senior Firefighter Jerry Fickes, Squad 4-C, and Senior Firefighter Ardy Hope Engine 5-C LODD 9-24-2016.

In Memory of P/M Stephanie Callaway "Gigglemedic", Sussex County EMS Medic #1357, LODD 6-17-08
I guess we've been out of touch for some time.

To answer the questions, Jumper firefighters are detail guys, and are moved from tour to tour to cover sick calls, vacations, etc

The SAFER grant was written to up staff apparatus. As of this point, this happens very infrequently. All rigs still staffed with 2 people, the city used the money to cut back on overtime costs. The department also instituted a 4th medic unit, and uses the SAFER personell to staff it as a BLS rig.
When FEMA was questioned about the city not actually using the grant as it was written, the advisor told us the fed doesn't care.
You guys do a great job with the staffing you have. Do you think your department will ever reach a point when you might have 3 on each rig?

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD