Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jason's Travel's 2014
Back in my Home state for a few days caught Winter Gardens New Engine 23

Attached Files Image(s)

Let me ask; with a photo like this, how do you get it in the grass like that? Do you just ask the Engineer, can you put it over there in the grass? I would think some would be reluctant, for fear of sinking, ruts, etc. Are you alone when you do this, or is there some enticement for them to help you out when you're in a group of people? I know how some Engineers are, and you have a hard time getting the truck out of the station, or all of the windows up, much less "over there in the grass" but hey if they'll do it, more power to you!

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Great shot, Jason! 

Travis, speaking for myself, I scout the area first.  I generally have 2 or 3 options thought out before even speaking to anyone.  If it has rained in the past few days or I can tell its soft, I won't even bother.  If a "grass shot" is possible, I'll feel the crew out.  I start off with small talk before making requests.  I can quickly tell if a crew is receptive.  I'll ask "hey, would this be possible?"  If any reluctance at all, I immediately go to Plan B, I never push.  I'm proud to say I've never been labeled "difficult."  I also vow to never to put anyone in position to get themselves in trouble or cause a delay in response should there be one.  I generally get a photo, wherever it may be, that I'm happy with.  It has been a long time (knock on wood) since I've been turned down for photos period...and in those rare cases, they were not in Kentucky, and it was simply because of laziness or an Officer just flat out being a jerk. Granted, there are just a few of "us" in my (our) area and we're always welcomed back.  Departments around here just aren't inundated with photo requests, so its never a bother.              

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY   

Kent pretty much hit the nail on the head.

If there's a rig that I really want in the grass, I'll have it planned before I ask for photos at all.  I'll walk the area, check the ground for firmness, look for indication of anything that would prevent an engine from driving in the grass, etc.  I never, ever press the issue either - if the engineer or officer are at all reluctant, then move on to Plan B.

It's been said many times on here before - 99% of your success is based on your approach.  I've only been refused photos twice in 15+ years (ironically, one of those two times was one of the same departments that Kent had a problem with).  Planning, attitude, gratitude, and kindness will get you a long, long ways.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Travis,

I lucked out with this shot the central florida area had got a substanial amount of rain, but I know the Vice President of WGFD's Local and found this spot after scouting the territory the idea of buffing isnt as common down in the south, except the handful of us that there are its not like PA, MD, NJ, and NY. So I find the guys willing but not knowing (make sense) and I travel with a sample portfolio to offer examples of the shot I'm looking to get not being familiar you do have to offer alot of guidance and help, I always offer to send copies for display in the station too. also you can not be confrontational, I've been denied a few places but photo policies and social media is a touchy subject in municipal government. If the shot is denied on one shift come back another time you have 2 and sometimes 3 other shift's you could get lucky with.

hopefully that helps. As far as group shots, its kinda iffy I like to travel with group that are looking for the same type of photo with no clashing nothing like 2 buffs b*tching about a shot in front of the crew to ruin it for future trips by others. like everything there are some egos out there to contend with.

hope I helped,

Jason

continuing with the Florida vacation

Attached Files Image(s)

Orlando Heavy Rescue 1, not 100% sure but believe this is 1 of 2 Completely Sutphen Rescue Bodies ever made

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:Orlando Heavy Rescue 1, not 100% sure but believe this is 1 of 2 Completely Sutphen Rescue Bodies ever made
My database shows six:

HS-3065 Youngwood PA 1996

HS-3405 Dagsboro DE 1999

HS-3606 Waynesboro Rescue Squad, Waynesboro VA 2000

HS-3697 Orlando FL 2003

HS-3863 Florence AL 2004

HS-3911 Springfield PA 2005

As far as I know, all six are 100% Sutphen.  If anyone knows different, let me know.
Engine 29 from Orange County

Attached Files Image(s)

Dave,

I've got 2 more all-Sutphen rescues:

HS-3028  Bethel-Tate, OH  1996  (The department claims it was the first)

HS-3919  Springfield, OH  2005

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY
Quote:Dave,

I've got 2 more all-Sutphen rescues:

HS-3028  Bethel-Tate, OH  1996  (The department claims it was the first)

HS-3919  Springfield, OH  2005

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY
My bad!  I have those too, but I listed one as a rescue pumper (it has a pump and tank, but it's a heavy rescue, so I'm not sure why I did that) and the other one I had listed as a Haz Mat Unit.  Corrections made.  Thanks, Kent!
The Rescue at Orange County 29

Attached Files Image(s)

Slid over to Seminole County for this gem she's the busiest Engine in the County

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:My database shows six:

HS-3065 Youngwood PA 1996

HS-3405 Dagsboro DE 1999

HS-3606 Waynesboro Rescue Squad, Waynesboro VA 2000

HS-3697 Orlando FL 2003

HS-3863 Florence AL 2004

HS-3911 Springfield PA 2005

As far as I know, all six are 100% Sutphen.  If anyone knows different, let me know.
Florence AL was I know
Quote:Travelled to Alabama this last week to take advantage of some of the good weather to catch this gem.
I love the panther on the side, COOL
Continuing from the vacation Miami Dade's "new" refurbed Quantum that was the originally assigned to Engine 30 before they took delivery of their Arrow XT Puc

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:Continuing from the vacation Miami Dade's "new" refurbed Quantum that was the originally assigned to Engine 30 before they took delivery of their Arrow XT Puc
Is the Grey on the cab somthing new there doing?
Quote:Is the Grey on the cab somthing new there doing?

Yes, the Quantum refurbs and the dozens of new Rosenbauers will have the grey roof.
Taylor Goodman
Quote: 

Yes, the Quantum refurbs and the dozens of new Rosenbauers will have the grey roof.
I like it...   Are they staying with Lime green or going over to blane boring red like others are doing these days?
What you see in the photos is the new scheme of grey and green.

Taylor Goodman