Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebay rant
I'm not sure what is going on over on Ebay and I'm hoping someone can explain this me. Has anyone noticed apparatus slide/photos in general going for way more than what they are worth? I get certain pictures from MD, PA, VA, NY, etc will always sell good but apparatus photos from NC/SC?????

A while back someone was on Ebay auctioning a lot of 20 photos from across North Carolina. None of the shots were unique and I bid on what I thought was fair. About 3 minutes before the auction ended someone else started bidding way up so I kept going as well. The photos sold to the other guy for close to $80!!!!! 20 photos for $80 not including shipping! 

Then yesterday I bid on a lot of prints from Maryland as well as 2 lots of slides. Only one photo/slide was shown so you didn't know what else was in the lot, only it would be from MD. Same thing, they went to $58 and $62 to the same bidder. Who was that kind of money to blow on slides?

I work hard for my money but I cannot afford to spend the outrageous prices going for photos and slides on Ebay. Has certain buffs struck it rich or is there a lot more shill bidding going on?
Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
City of Winston-Salem Fire Dept.
I've been a victim of shill bidding on apparatus photos and slides. Learned my lesson and buy very little from ebay. 
Same experience happened to me 7-8 years ago, gave up on e-bay.
The "individual" started posting them on Youngstown site not long after and seeking info, using same name as on e-bay. I was not amused...
Im not really familiar with these e bay shananigans. But so often in collecting anything , value is what anyone person is willing to pay. If a guy has slides of an entire fleet if say Boston fire apparatus from the fiftees, isnt that guy more apt to pay hi for a slide or two if its whats missing from making a set whole? Not saying this is the story here. You guys seem to know theres bull being played. Just wondering. Fire memorabilia is big biz these days.
Maybe this will give a little insight on EBAY. I am selling some of my slides and prints on EBay to reduce the size of my collection. I am selling off doubles that I had in my collection and items that have little interest to me. I can tell you first hand by the time paypal and ebay get their cut you don't make as much money as you think you would. There are some shillbidders out there. This is causing a huge problem. I don't play those dishonest games. I try to keep my start prices as low as possible to make bidding easier.

I have found as a seller there are some people willing to spend lots of money on photos and slides. Example I posted some prints (not a set of 25 or anything) I am talking about individual prints. I saw two buyers in a bidding war and one print went for $25. I was in shock and figured there was no way the buyer was going to pay but he did. He was an overseas buyer. He must be loaded because I would never have paid that for the print.

There are some regulars on Ebay buying up as much stuff as they can. I have one ebayer that spends a substantial amount of money on slides and photos on a weekly basis and talking with some others he buys even more from them. With that being said there are guys out there willing to spend these crazy amounts of money on items, and have the money to do so. 

I feel your pain Micha I have had the same thing happen to me on numerous auctions. Not a heck of lot you can do about it except spend the money of the item means that much to you. I hope this gives a little insight. 

Adam Alberti

www.njfirepictures.smugmug.com

Lieutenant Passaic, NJ Fire Dept.

Past Chief Roxbury Twp, NJ Volunteer Fire Dept
Quote:I'm not sure what is going on over on Ebay and I'm hoping someone can explain this me. Has anyone noticed apparatus slide/photos in general going for way more than what they are worth? I get certain pictures from MD, PA, VA, NY, etc will always sell good but apparatus photos from NC/SC?????

A while back someone was on Ebay auctioning a lot of 20 photos from across North Carolina. None of the shots were unique and I bid on what I thought was fair. About 3 minutes before the auction ended someone else started bidding way up so I kept going as well. The photos sold to the other guy for close to $80!!!!! 20 photos for $80 not including shipping! 

Then yesterday I bid on a lot of prints from Maryland as well as 2 lots of slides. Only one photo/slide was shown so you didn't know what else was in the lot, only it would be from MD. Same thing, they went to $58 and $62 to the same bidder. Who was that kind of money to blow on slides?

I work hard for my money but I cannot afford to spend the outrageous prices going for photos and slides on Ebay. Has certain buffs struck it rich or is there a lot more shill bidding going on?

I buy a lot of diecast cars and trucks and one thing I have noticed on Ebay is that a 99 cent treasure hunt can go for as much as 2 to 3 hundred dollars depending on the buyers. I myself do not buy anything on Ebay for that reason.
Dave
Watch out for Autolit, the jack the price up on the photos and then if you dont counter bid, they relist the photo next week

Quote:Watch out for Autolit, the jack the price up on the photos and then if you dont counter bid, they relist the photo next week
I bought a photo from them and when it showed up it was a picture of a picture. 
Don't leave negative feedback for Autolit as they will block your ability to purchase. Most photos are indeed copies, not originals.