Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boston
I was buffing Beantown the other day and my travels got me over to Black Falcon Dr, or something like that in Southie.  Over there I found a builidng that for all my life looks like a fire station.  I know Boston never had a station over there, is it possible that this was a fire station when this was the Navy Yard?  I don't remember that either.

With all that development over there if I were in charge I might want to get some contributions from the developers and buy that building and re-open Engine 1 and Ladder 5.

That was the Boston Army Base and it closed in the sixties.  I don't recall a fire station on the base.  The Navy Yard was located in Charlestown and that is where the USS Constitution is

located. I know the building you are referring to and it is down near what was the power station. That is some of the most valuable real estate in Boston at the present  time. 

tHANKs

tHANKs
Thanks for the info and correction and info. No doubt that is valuable land.  I can't  believe the development in that part of Southie

Hear a rumor that starting in the immediate future Boston will no longer tap out the boxes over the radio.  If that is true what will we hear over the radio when a call is dispatched??

Rumor is true.  Only thing that will be struck is 10-15

http://www.scan-ne.net/forums/showthread...Boston-CAD

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
An awful idea. Plain & simple. Change for change's sake.

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.
Ed, I'm less techno-savvy (Motrac-era guy here), but is there a piece of equipment (Zetron?) that -could- interface with the new system and broadcast the tapper over CH-1??

Hang in there.

Mike,

I believe Digitizer is what you're thinking of.  I'm not sure how the CAD processes boxes now, but I'm sure the system could have been configured to continue striking boxes over the air.

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Digitizer is what he have been using. It was set to be dismantled until some Deputy asked how we were going to continue to transmit 10-15's (Death notifications for Active & Retired members) without. He was informed that we weren't going to transmit them anymore. He corrected them & told them, yes you are. Reportedly this is a 90 day trial, after which we can pick & choose what to keep & what to scrap. There are some positives to the system, but eliminating the box system was throwing out the baby with the bath water IMO.

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
I'll readily admit my naievty towards the BFD radio system (other than occasionally listening on Broadcastify), but what's lost by not tapping the box over the radio, aside from the tradition?  Interested in hearing the culture of the BFD and how it integrates into the radio system.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
The system will be gone in 6 months !!! Just my opinion

Fireman Jim Flaherty

Norwood FD (ret)

Boston Citywide 107
Good point Taylor.  I wonder how the other 99.999999% of fire departments outside Rt. 128 manage to get by without the beeps.

In defense of FAO23 the current system really lacks something.  Maybe they should research how other departments the size of Boston dispatch and take some hints.

Just my $.02 Blah
If they decide to go forward without tapping the boxes over Channel 1, but using the Box System for building fires, I would be okay with that. I would like to see them use the new system, which relies on GPS based distances, to write up all new running cards that make more sense. Using my own company as an example, 9-1712 for 57 Norfolk Ave in Roxbury on August 21, 2010, Ladder 14 covered Ladder 26 on the 2nd Alarm (Ladder 26 to the fire on the 2nd) and died there. Meanwhile, at 3-2937 for 32 Lagrange St in West Roxbury on June 4, 2014, we responded directly to the fire from quarters on the 2nd Alarm! A distance of over SEVEN miles! There's PLENTY of other examples out there, I can only use my personal experiences here. Based on discussions I've had with people that would know, this remains a work in progress.

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
Does anyone know if Emba   aka Elliot Belin is OK?  I have noticed that the last two multiple alarm fires have not been listed on his fire page.  This is a great source of info and I hope all is OK with him??

Just a heads-up: I was told by someone that would know that the striking of boxes will resume at some point in the near future. Unknown as to whether we use the old running cards, updated ones or just have Purvis do the assigning of companies, but the tapping of boxes IS coming back!

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
Good to hear. Just hasn't been the same . I know it's not a huge deal to some. But I'm a bit nostalgic .
That's GREAT news!!! I don't even listen to Boston anymore on the scanner because of it.

<p class="bbc_center">Kevin White

Fireground Photographer

www.KDWFirePhotos.com
Its been part of my life for over 65 years, bring is back!

tHANKs

tHANKs
I recently e-mailed Elliot and have not had a reply.  He grew up at Engine 18 on

Harvard St, Dorchester and

I grew up with Engine 52 and Ladder 29 on

Calander St.  No radios on apparatus back in those days.

tHANKs

tHANKs
I have heard that he had a minor stroke and will be back inthe saddle in Sept.  In fact he is already back hanging out at the Museum

BTW I had family that lived on Radcliffe St. right off Harvard St near old E-18 back in the 60's