Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nypd 10 man esu cabs
saw a pic of one its from E\-One, I wonder if they are new units or just re cabbed

Anyway to post a link to the photo here? First I am hearing of a 10 man ESU truck, which would be very odd

here you go grumpyff from a friend who got it from first due detaling on facebook so credit to first due detaling [Image: sgseo2.jpg]

I remember hearing something about this, possibly from this site (NYPD thread maybe?) I believe it is replacing one damaged in Hurricane Sandy, but I don't remember reading why they went with the bigger cab.
The only way I can figure the 10 man cabs is did NYPD decide to do away with the walk in box? either way i dont think the driver well be happy with the longer wheel base imo.
ESS Truck 6's 2012 E\-One was badly damaged during Super Storm Sandy and needed extensive rebuilding.

I would be willing to bet that it was an instock cab that fit the chassis and that was why its on. The 'Truck" responds from quarters with a driver and the duty squad Sgt. They are not used for any street patrol duty.

If you look back through the NYPD thread, it appears that Truck 6's 2012 was being "parted out" at Floyd Bennet Field.  This would most likely be an entirely new rig.  I also doubt this will be going to Truck 6 - they could barely fit the last rig in quarters, much less this monster.  I also tend to doubt that an available chassis already built was used - NYPD and FDNY rarely, if ever, buy something "off the shelf".

Could this possibly have a small command area in it?

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Truck 6's damaged rig is on page 60 or 61 of the NYPD thread and in the picture, it had a Copart property ID tag already in the windshield so I highly doubt that this is a remount of that body on a new chassis. This rig does look like it's the standard, ESU big truck walk-in body though. I was thinking maybe Truck 11? The extra length wouldn't be an issue at Floyd Bennett Field.

I believe that Emergency Service has their own, separate Command Post vehicle.
3 more similar was recently ordered. Its a new cab built with nypd spec.
Sharp looking rig. It would better in red.
I wonder if truck 4 will get a 10 man cab. The 2012 eone has been ready for over a year but yet they are still using the Mack unless that changed in the last week.
I was just on a NYPD page on Facebook. You could infer from one of the "posters" that they were a member assigned to Emergency Service, stated "4,5 and 6 are getting this Quad cab truck. Leftover idea from Kelly. Only 2 seats behind front seats. We should have ours (5) I about two weeks".
I posted in the NYPD thread about the new trucks being 4 door cabs, per info from a contact on ESS 6. He thought that it wasn't just a one-off, this was what all the big trucks would be from now on. IMHO, a perfect example of why bigger isn't always better.  Trying to navigate NYC streets/traffic, especially trying to get as close to a scene where they are needed, is already a huge challenge, so why go with a larger unit? Makes no sense, but they still look good! 

Which brings us back to the question, at least for Truck 5 and Truck 6...where the hell are they gonna park it???   Shrug

Quote:Which brings us back to the question, at least for Truck 5 and Truck 6...where the hell are they gonna park it???   Shrug
no way this is going to fit at truck 4's garage
It's got to be a specialized unit.
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Ironically, I saw the chassis/cab of this one or one of these traveling by flatbed from Florida while on our way back from vacation.  My wife actually noted NYPD stenciled on the cab windshield.  I immediately assumed it was started in Ocala and headed to New York for a stainless steel body. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY