Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Detroit Fire Department to finally receive new apparatus
I posted this in July, and haven't heard anything on the progress of ANY of the trucks, besides the Ambulances and Chief's units being delivered, has anyone heard about the status of the new rigs?

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Trav,

The official order was not placed until I think September or October, with delivery to take place in June/July of 2015.

Kris

Some of the bodies are currently under construction...

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:Some of the bodies are currently under construction...

If all holds like past DFD deliveries they should all arrive within a few days of each other.  I'm not familiar with Smeal's abilities, building practices or delivery times but from my 13 years in the business that would sound about right for a early summer delivery.  Of course that is all going off what an average pumper delivery build should take, now with how busy they are that may slow that down the delivery time even more.

I eagerly look forward to these hitting the streets.  I for one hope they hold up for DFD.  It would be great to have another competent builder for DFD to be able to go to.  My dreams of a Seagrave DFD again are likely to never happen but as long as they are riding in working equipment from a builder that is half concerned when they have issues that would be great!

Kris
Well said.
Initially I had heard UST would be building them as they were stainless.  Anyone know if this is the case or if Smeal is building them?
I was told this last fall. Marion is building the cab and installing it on the chassis. UST is installing the pump and pump housing. Then shipped to Nebraska for installation of the hose body and final assembly.  I was told recently that Smeal was awarded a contract for six rescue pumpers, replacing all six squads. However, I have not been able to confirm this. 

Quote:I was told this last fall. Marion is building the cab and installing it on the chassis. UST is installing the pump and pump housing. Then shipped to Nebraska for installation of the hose body and final assembly.  I was told recently that Smeal was awarded a contract for six rescue pumpers, replacing all six squads. However, I have not been able to confirm this. 
Well considering the cab is a Spartan of course Marion is building it. UST is Smeal's S/S body builder now since they acquired them which they used CustomFire before. I'm intrested to see who is going to build the squad bodies since Smeal doesn't offer that type of vehicle in their product line.
Quote:Well considering the cab is a Spartan of course Marion is building it. UST is Smeal's S/S body builder now since they acquired them which they used CustomFire before. I'm intrested to see who is going to build the squad bodies since Smeal doesn't offer that type of vehicle in their product line.

I thought they were going to be rescue engines replacing the rescue squads. If so Smeal builds those dont they.
Dan,

You had it right new Rescue Squads will have pumps.  No confirmed info on design but one person said same basic style but with pump which would be interesting at least to me.

My bet after talking to a friend who has some knowledge is these will be like FDNY Rescue Squads, not saying they are that design or who even is likely to get the order but similar

in layout to the FDNY rig.

http://www.firepics.net/groupboards/inde...owtopic=62

My fear and I get the feeling inside dept fear is these will end up becoming engines when there are not enough active engines.  It's happened with the current rescues so it's definitely

not out of the question.  I don't like the idea but then again my ass is not on the line out there so my opinion only counts to me.  The purchase order is being finalized and they

have a projected Dec-2015 delivery.  I don't buy that time line but hey it makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy so that's great. (Heavy Sarcasm)

Rapid Response units (Think LAFD rescue 51) will be here in June and are under construction supposedly with custom boxes.  Now I think they are more than likely customized Stahl or

Reading type bodies because they are on Ford F-250 chassis and were purchased for $70,000.00 each hell the chassis are in the $40k range alone depending on what they are getting. 

That's not much left over for a custom box unless Medix or may Wheeled Coach has come out with a cheap box.  These rigs are a great idea in Detroit but I'm concerned if they don't go

with a quality builder they will break down quickly and the idea will flame out on account of a bad spec not a bad idea.

The Smeal engines are scheduled for July/ Aug delivery.

The 37 Chief, EMS Supervisor and Fire Marshall should be here in February and March.

The 15 ambulances were all delivered by the 1st of January.

That should do it for now.

Kris

Pictures please once these things start rolling in. 

Kory Green

Captain

Dresden Fire Department

Training Officer

Martin Fire Department
The first photo of a bare chassis has been posted on Facebook by the Detroit Firehouse page.
Smeal will be building the Squads as well, I've attached a link to a Detroit Fire Fighter's Instagram, I'm not really up on all of the social media stuff and how to share, so I just copied and pasted the link.

https://instagram.com/p/z0zbYkSW1p/?taken-by=dfdlad26

Im sorry if it was asked already but what will the rapid response units be used for??

Quote:Im sorry if it was asked already but what will the rapid response units be used for??

From everything I've been told these will be rapid response to EMS calls.  They may carry some gear on them but from what I've been told these will very much

be just like the units used in LA. 

Kris
Quote:Smeal will be building the Squads as well, I've attached a link to a Detroit Fire Fighter's Instagram, I'm not really up on all of the social media stuff and how to share, so I just copied and pasted the link.

https://instagram.com/p/z0zbYkSW1p/?taken-by=dfdlad26

So those will be the squads?
[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Yes those are the new rescue squads.

If you read his comments, I don't think the guys operating off of the trucks are real receptive.

Trav!
Yeah, looks like they are just making them another engine company that happens to carry some rescue tools.

I saw a recent drone vid of a fire and siting in the center of the road was a black over red pumper....anyone know whos it was?