Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Vehicle Pin-in Union SC 12/12/2014
At 1130hrs crews were dispatched to a 2 car mva with entrapment. O/A crews found head-on crash with one man entrapped. Crews from Union Co EMS, Lockhart FD, Philippi  FD, Kelly-Kelton FD, Jonesville FD and Union Co Rescue Squad worked to free the male driver. Sadly two females in the other car did not survive the wreck. They to were later extracted after SCHP worked the wreck.  

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Do you have anymore pictures of the chain and spreaders in #4? I'm curious as to how it was rigged.

Great photos of a tough scene!

Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>
Quote:Do you have anymore pictures of the chain and spreaders in #4? I'm curious as to how it was rigged.

Sorry that is about all I have of it. I know one end is around the steering column the other is around the front structure of the car. Best they could do at the time with what they had. Two 60" rams were maxed out on extension. The male driver was a large guy who was laying horizontal for the most part under the dash.
Very nice . Love that old school technique with the chains.
Good pictures thank you for sharing.

Dave
Quote:Sorry that is about all I have of it. I know one end is around the steering column the other is around the front structure of the car. Best they could do at the time with what they had. Two 60" rams were maxed out on extension. The male driver was a large guy who was laying horizontal for the most part under the dash.

Here is one showing a similar arrangement.

[Image: p203915036-4.jpg]
The first set of HURST spreaders I worked with in the mid 70's came with a set of hooks that replaced the tips, dash rolls were done with chain attached to the frame near where the bumpers connected and wraped around the steering column.  Cant do it that way anymore, but it's good to see that someone was cool headed enough to employ an old school method as a last resort!

As said before that old school technique worked well on solid steering columns, when tilt columns became the norm pulling the wheel like that pretty much stopped. But kudos to the crew for making it work!

Chad

Deputy Fire Chief
Clinton Volunteer Fire Department
www.clintonvfd.org

Washington DC Fire Department
FireFighter Truck Co. 15