Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West End Engine Housing
Yesterday I packed up the family and headed to Shippensburg for the West End Fire & Rescue Company No.3's  "twin" engine housing. The officers and members of West End started the afternoon event with a presentation ceremony followed by the christening of the engines. Members and firefighters from neighboring departments ended the ceremony by pushing the engines into the station.

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD

Engine 15-1

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD

Engine 15-2

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD
Two years of planning went into the purchase of the two engines, with emphasis on practicality. The appearance of these rigs leads one to believe that there are a lot of "bells and whistles", but that is not the case! The 2015 Pierce Arrow XT's were designed for "severe service" so you wont find any cloth headliners in the cab. Featuring a low hose bed  (check out their website for pics: www.wefr15.com) and ample compartment space, these rigs are set up for basic engine company operations.

Attached Files Image(s)

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD

A close up of Engine 15-1

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD

Chief Kline christening Engine 15-2.....don't know the quality of the champagne, but well worth the loss!

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD
I was able to grab a few apparatus pics from neighboring departments that were in attendance, but one more from West End, Brush 15.    

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD

Walnut Bottom, Cumberland County Engine 49

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD

Vigilant, Shippensburg Borough Engine 252

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD

Pleasant Hall, Franklin County Engine 11-1

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD

and the last one.......Cumberland Valley, Shippensburg Borough Truck 53

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD
any shots of what they replaced

Unfortunately no, but their website has photos. The units were a 2006 KME engine which was sold and a 1995 Pierce Lance which is currently for sale.

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD
Quote:Unfortunately no, but their website has photos. The units were a 2006 KME engine which was sold and a 1995 Pierce Lance which is currently for sale.
The new rigs look great!  I don't have any pics of the KME or the Pierce, but I have the following shots of the two rigs they replaced:

Engine 15-1, West End Fire Company, Shippensburg, PA

1989 E\-One Cyclone

1500/750

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Engine 15-2, West End Fire Company, Shippensburg, PA

1973 Mack CF

1000/750

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It must be nice to be able to set up your engines like that. No fans, no vent saws, no auto ex stuff, no cold water gear, no hazmat gear. Just engine stuff. Sigh.

Looks like a nice pump, for sure.

Nice pics too!
Rob Atwater

Lieutenant

Derry Fire

Engine 4/Truck 4

Derry, NH
Thanks!! Their rescue squad and the Boroughs ladder companies carry the fans and other specialty equipment, so they didn't see a need to duplicate. The compartments on these engines are not overcrowded and they carry plenty of attack lines....true pumpers. I like concept of a standard engine company, let the special services come in and do their thing.

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD
Recently sold via a broker

Attached Files Image(s)

any idea why they sold a 2006 already