Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greene County NY Forest Fire
Here are some pics of a forest fire burning  on Hunter Mt. in Greene County.  This is the 2nd largest fire in the last few days as one burned in Sullivan County.   I was a volly for 12 yrs and fought my far share of brush fires and Id have to say I never had air drops before.... 

1st pic by: Leon Taufield.........fire burning on the southwest slope of Hunter Mountain in Lanesville

Attached Files Image(s)

2nd pic by: Hunter VFD(FBpage)     Hunter 14-2 pumping water uphill into the fire area above us. It had already passed by from the left to the right

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

3rd pic: NYSDEP...................  DEP staffers steam cleaning the "Fire Boss" fixed wing airplane at the Orange County Airport on May 7 to prepare it for gathering water from the Schoharie Reservoir to fight the Lanesvile fire

Attached Files Image(s)

Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
I have seen many brush/forest fires in the past where we had to call on air support from state police and Nat Guard so I have to ask NYS...... Why dont we spend some bucks and buy some aircraft for fire support during times like this....Its been proven very useful!

UPDATE......  6 days later this fire is still going, they state its contained and has not jumped the fire line set up around it but with todays high winds that could change.  Fire crews are working in shifts to provide water support to the state forest rangers and fire fighters that have been there since day one.  Next few pics are from Hunter VFD FB page.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Attached Files Image(s)