Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wildland Fire with Air Drops, JeffCo Colorado 10/14/15
On Wednesday afternoon West Metro District Chief 2, Engine 13, Brush 13, Engine 11 & Brush 11 were dispatched to a Highway Vegetation Fire along eastbound C-470 between Bowles Avenue & Ken Caryl Avenue.  First Arriving Company 13 found a terrain driven grass fire spreading west up the hogback.  A mobile and progressive hose lay attack were used but the fire rapidly spread uphill.  Additional Engines, Brush Trucks and Tenders were requested.  

20 Minutes into the incident...

The fire had started along the shoulder of the highway where Engine 13 is parked.  Engine 11's 4x4 can be seen part way up the hill with Brush 11 working the right flank. 

Off to the races.  The running grass fire quickly leapt up hill and sparked off the scrub oak. 

You can really see the head of the grass fire in this one...

The incident commander promptly split the incident into Divisions (Alpha & Zulu).  A water supply and staging officer were also assigned.  At this point I drove to the other side of the hogback into the Ken Caryl Valley Subdivision. 

This is the closest house to the fire, located in the North Ranch section of Ken Caryl Valley.  I beat the first fire units back there by about 15 minutes.  A homeowner came out and asked me why no fire trucks were there yet.  I politely reminded her that the community voted down a fire district mill-levy increase two years ago which took firefighters off the street and closed companies.  

Once the fire reached the top of the hogback the terrain slowed it down considerably.  The grass fire went from running to creeping but was sporadically igniting and torching off scrub oak.  It was a dang good thing it wasn't windy. 

West Metro Engine 4 arrived on west side of the fire and was assigned the "North Ranch Division," responsible for structure protection and fire control.  

Engine 15 was next to arrive.  Station 15 got hit hard after the "No" vote on the mill-levy and now cross-staff an Engine, Medic & Brush Truck with 4 people.  When Engine 15 arrived it only had a driver since the other crew members jumped on the smaller Type VI brush truck and headed up the mountain.  

Rough terrain was a big problem and air support was ordered.  Rampart Helicopter Services N911UH is contracted by neighboring Douglas County for multi-mission aircraft support and responded to this fire.  

N911UH making a drop on some hot scrub oak 

N911UH made a couple dozen drops on a single tank of fuel thanks to a nearby pond.  I was able to make it to their dip site for a few photos. 

Jefferson County Sheriff did a great job securing the dip site... Which made getting photos a challenge. 

Last one... Close up of the Bambi Bucket.  As of my post it's been about 24 hours since the fire started and crews remain on scene mopping up.  West Metro Fire, Evergreen Fire, BLM Hot Shots, Douglas County Hand Crew, N911UH and Colorado Department of Fire Prevention & Control Multi Mission Aircraft are all working. 

Nice photos, Eric. Glad you reminded the homeowner about the vote. No Engine 14 was undoubtedly a factor in the response time.
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Great pics!

Matt

Anne Arundel County, Maryland

My Website: www.bythebayphotos.com
Fantastic pictures! Great work.

Thanks for sharing 

That overall shot, #2, is a great one. Is the large dark area on the far right the shadow of a cloud?

Quote:Nice photos, Eric. Glad you reminded the homeowner about the vote. No Engine 14 was undoubtedly a factor in the response time.
Thanks guys.  You're absolutely right, E14 being shut down certainly impacted response times at this incidnet.

Quote:That overall shot, #2, is a great one. Is the large dark area on the far right the shadow of a cloud?
Thank you, that shadow is actually from the smoke plume!

Great shots and narrative!

Drew
Drew James
GA Paramedic