Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The reason for the -11 in Chicago's 2-11 response
I'm sure that this has been addressed before, but was curious...I just read that the reason for the 11 in Chicago Fire's response of 2-11, 3-11, etc. is because "11 apparatus are sent."  Is this true, or was the 11 more a result of trying to get everyone else's attention in the days of the fire bell signals? I'm just curious, as I haven't been able to find a solid answer.

Thanks!

Well I found some info on Chicago fire alarm terminology, however it wont allow me to copy and paste or insert the link to the page.. I found the info on Wikipedia just search Chicago fire Dept. and there is a full page of info just scroll down until you find alarm assigments then you see multiples and it tells about them.. Hope this helps

Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
From Wikipedia ... 

"Higher-alarms for larger fires and more serious incidents are assigned as 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Alarm Assignments as upgrades of a "Still & Box", a "Box", or a "Working Fire". Each alarm level is signified by the level of alarms, followed by the number 11. The number "11" after the level of alarm is tradition of the bell and register system striking 11 blows onto the bell in the firehouse after whatever level of alarm the incident has been upgraded to followed by the box number, carried over into the modern era."

Bob

Retired and still a tax payer.
200 Years of tradition unimpeded by progress