Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1978 Hahn 1250/750 Ex-Bryn Athyn, Pa.
Many of you know that I have the 1958 FWD  ex-Bryn Athyn, Pa. The FWD was replaced by a 1978 Hahn 1250/750 (yes, "the yellow one".) In 2007 the Hahn was replaced with the Spartan/Toyne pumper, and the Hahn was sold to a member of the community who barely touched or used it, and allowed it to remain outdoors for the last 5+ years...never started it and obviously never moved it. A few weeks ago, the family contacted the fire company, to see if they knew who the guy was "that had the FWD" (didn't know I was a member) to see if I'd be interested in the Hahn. So the fire company president forwarded their information to me, and I contacted the family. We conditionally agreed to a deal pending our inspection of the truck and ensuring it would run and drive. We did get it running last sunday, I'm sure many of you saw the videos on my facebook page. For those that did not, with a set of fresh batteries, about 20 seconds of electric fuel primer run time, and two blasts of ether, she fired right off, and after 40 seconds you never would have known she sat dormant for 5+ years. We let it run for 20 minutes while we aired up the tires and inspected the brakes and the chassis components, and then drove it around the large property several times. She ran like the champ she always was, and we contacted the owner and agreed to the deal. We are now in possession of the title. She is currently located in Bucks County but will be moved to a temporary location near my house in Hellertown tomorrow (sunday.) We hope to secure indoor storage in the near future. 

Not only do we have the truck that replaced the FWD, I now have the truck that I went on my first call on when I was 16 as a junior (alarm system...) and also the truck I trained on as a driver, and also drove to my first run as a driver (another alarm system) and drove to my first job as a driver. 

1978 Hahn HCP12 1250/750 671T Detroit Diesel, Allison HT740D Transmission

**NOTE: First truck Hahn built with a turbocharged engine.**

Photo by Matt Goldberg, circa 2006,

Dug these out of the closet the other night.

I tried to post pics of her sitting in her resting place for the last 5+, but the files are too large. 

Quote:I tried to post pics of her sitting in her resting place for the last 5+, but the files are too large. 
If you use the "paint" program, and then hit resize it works pretty well.....
Quote:If you use the "paint" program, and then hit resize it works pretty well.....
I tried all that, way too complicated.