Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter shooting
What does everyone use to avoid freeze ups during the winter with there camera gear. I was on a scene 2 weeks ago the temp was around 3 degrees the display screen on my cannon kept going out. Iit worked fine after I got it back inside warmth. Or I had to keep hitting the play button to review photos.
being from Winnipeg, I have had to deal with winter weather frequently when photographing new deliveries at Fort Garry Fire Trucks.  Today, for example, it is -24 C with the wind chill in the mid - minus 30's.  Last winter, I photographed on days that reached as low as the mid - minus 30's in air temperature.  In my experience, I have found that a fully charged battery is very important.  The second thing that seems to work is once the camera has been outside to not bring it back into the warmth until you are finished photographing for the day.  Alternating between cold and hot seems to cause moisture which creates all kinds of problems with electronics.   Of course, when taking photos of new deliveries, I am not outside for more than 10-15 minutes at a time.  I use a Canon Rebel T3i.  I hope this helps.

Thanks Dave for the Reply, Yes that does help, I usually don't get out much in the winter as Rigs are dirty, The sun hits off the snow, and less sunlight shorter time frames to get rig photos. also looking for input on Fire Scene shooting.

You are welcome.  Like you, I do not bother much with photographing in service rigs in the winter.  As you noted, shorter hours of sunshine limit the opportunities.  The low sun creates reflections off the snow which even creates issues with using a polarizer.  Photographing new rigs at the plant usually means the trucks are not too dirty.  On the plus side, on a crisp winter day the sky is crystal clear.