Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockaway Point
While looking around on Brindlee Mountain Fire Apparatus I came across this. I do believe its the former Ladder 4 from Rockaway Point in NYC that I thought was damaged during hurricane Sandy.

Attached Files Image(s)

Yes. That is definitely it. Not sure about being damaged.

Ladder 4? But it's a mini-pumper. ???

The photos at FDNYTrucks.com shows this truck was actually in service as Ladder 4. The ladder rack appears to have been removed.

People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
Quote:Ladder 4? But it's a mini-pumper. ???

Yes it is, but if you know the area it makes sense. Most of the areas that the VFD's cover are seaside communities with very narrow streets, where a regular ladder won't fit. Check out FDNYTrucks.com under the Specialty Units tab, towards the bottom are all the VFD's (Aviation down), there are some pretty unique rigs out there (I particularly like RPFD's ambulances).
Yeah....the mini and the International pumper were both taken OOS because of damage from the storm....I'll have to chk but I believe they were under water at one point or had water damage. 

OK................ The Mini Pumper, Engine, & Ambulance had water damage to them from the flooding.

Quote:Yes it is, but if you know the area it makes sense. Most of the areas that the VFD's cover are seaside communities with very narrow streets, where a regular ladder won't fit. Check out FDNYTrucks.com under the Specialty Units tab, towards the bottom are all the VFD's (Aviation down), there are some pretty unique rigs out there (I particularly like RPFD's ambulances).

Very interesting! I am not real familiar with the general operations of the vollie companies in the city. I found it odd that a mini-pumper would carry a designation of ladder with no aerial device. 
Streets are narrow I know that. Here are some pics....one is of the truck before the flood.....the other is from Gerritsen Beach area that shows how the streets are.  

Credits go to the original website(right corners of pics) Just used for examples

Attached Files Image(s)

There looks to be some nice houses there. Is their fleet entirely mini or midi-pumpers? If so, how do they get the required flow for a working structural fire? 

http://fdnytrucks.com/files/html/specialunits/rp.htm

The fleet
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
its missing the new ladder 4

Quote:its missing the new ladder 4
Mike is only one person.  It has taken him years to get all the images that are on his site, and NYC is a pain in the a** to get around during the day.  I'm sure he'll get it eventually.

Here's a shot from the department's Instagram account:

https://www.instagram.com/p/z3EVtROj5C/

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Ok so I'm sure it's been asked before but... How do the Volly house's get dispatched? Do they have radio unit numbers that fit into FDNY's system, or are they on their on? Do they have their on first due are or kind of in addition to the FDNY companies? Thanks.
Quote:Ok so I'm sure it's been asked before but... How do the Volly house's get dispatched? Do they have radio unit numbers that fit into FDNY's system, or are they on their on? Do they have their on first due are or kind of in addition to the FDNY companies? Thanks.

tk1,

I just posted a thread asking some questions about the VFDNY in the fire service discussion section. I thought maybe the admins would like to save this thread for photos.