Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FDNY Heavy Rescues Out To Bid
FDNY has 5 Heavy Rescue's out to bid:

Specs were to large to post here, so I posted them here: http://www.emtbravo.net/topic/52428-fdny...ut-to-bid/
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Too many issues with the Ferrara's?

Quote:Too many issues with the Ferrara's?

I doubt it...FDNY typically tries to replace their Rescues every 5 years (opinion based comparing dates of rescues on fdnytrucks.com)
Don't forget, with the bid going out now, it's going to take a lot longer to go through the steps,work with the manufacturer to get the protype built, make changes, and then build the rest. Then add in FDNY acceptance testing, tool mounting, training, etc and you probably won't see these rigs on the streets until mid-late 2017.
Seth Granville
No one is happy with the Ferraras
[color="#FF0000"]R.I.P Sammy Oitice FDNY 4 Truck 9-11-01[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]R.I.P Kevin Apuzzio East Franklin FD 4-11-06[/color]

NEVER FORGET 343

[size="4"]FDNY Hockey[/size]
I've heard there are alot of warranty issues on the Ferrara ladders. Been many reports of OOS apparatus. 

FDNY has had issues with almost every brand of apparatus they've taken delivery of in the past decade, including the Seagraves.

The Rescue company apparatus are all overloaded, and overweight. Given the distance they drive, the call volume they have, and the NYC streets, it's hard for any manufacturer to make a rig to stand up to that. That's one of the reasons Pierce won't bid. To give an insight into how much equipment they carry, it takes almost a day for Rescue 1 to swapover into a spare rig.

I know a firehouse in Queens where the Seagrave dealer mechanic is there more then the Ferrara mechanic. I'm not defending either or, but when you use apparatus as frequently as FDNY does, the issues are going to come to light much faster then a smaller department.
Seth Granville
I agree.  ANY department can have issues / problems with ANY apparatus.  Ask 100 different FDNY / LA City / Chicago / etc firefighters what they think of their apparatus and you will get 100 different opinions with some saying they love them and some saying they are nothing but problems.

Quote:I've heard there are alot of warranty issues on the Ferrara ladders. Been many reports of OOS apparatus. 

With FDNY's bumper to bumper 5 year warranty... The Warranty issues can mean almost anything from something seemingly minor to something seemingly major.  From my understanding (based solely on what I have ready on the web, so it HAS to be true)...if it breaks while under the warranty, FDNY won't touch it.  They will submit a warranty claim.
We've been having A LOT of problems with Ferrara for instance my company is on our second Ferrara our first one was a lemon and they took it back. The dealer mechanics are always in companies. Rescues are going in and out of service almost weekly and are always in spares. The KMEs are doing pretty well and have minimal problems

NEVER FORGET 343

I'm curious what happened with the other ladders that Ferrara took back? Obviously Ladder 24 became the 150 Years rig, but there's others. Also (perhaps off topic, perhaps not) there's an FDNY spec. ladder in the background photos of Ferraras "in production" page, but it has aluminum wheels, and now I can't remember what rig you can see it in the background of.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:Also (perhaps off topic, perhaps not) there's an FDNY spec. ladder in the background photos of Ferraras "in production" page, but it has aluminum wheels, and now I can't remember what rig you can see it in the background of.
Ferrara has an add-on to the contract to build a few more rear mounts from what I understand.
Seth Granville
The rescues went out to pre bid. As of now KME Ferrara and Seagrave all submitted bids

NEVER FORGET 343

Quote: 

With FDNY's bumper to bumper 5 year warranty... The Warranty issues can mean almost anything from something seemingly minor to something seemingly major.  From my understanding (based solely on what I have ready on the web, so it HAS to be true)...if it breaks while under the warranty, FDNY won't touch it.  They will submit a warranty claim.

Pierce won't bid on them due to the fact that FDNY requires according to the bid specs that all mfg's bidding will modify their cab and chassis to meet FDNY specs. Pierce will not modify their cab and chassis other than simple design and cad changes. That and the fact the warranty is more than they want to deal with. Really surprised E\-One isn't bidding as they have just done NYPD TSU heavy rigs.
Maybe it's time for them to develop and market they're own apparatus . This way it will be exactly want they want . nobody really seems to like anything they ever get down there anyhow. Seems every other truck becomes a lemon. Farfetched idea , sure . But it would've made one hell of of a April fools story , until some dude with a second cousin that works for the shops comes on and blasts it.
Quote:Pierce won't bid on them due to the fact that FDNY requires according to the bid specs that all mfg's bidding will modify their cab and chassis to meet FDNY specs. Pierce will not modify their cab and chassis other than simple design and cad changes. That and the fact the warranty is more than they want to deal with. Really surprised E-One isn't bidding as they have just done NYPD TSU heavy rigs.
The Pierce Rescue was purchased with federal grant money. Pierce was the only vendor on the government contract who could provide that. It didn't go out to bid, and, as a result, some specs were waived.

For Pierce to be a contender for the FDNY Contract, they would have to first develop a stainless steel, split tilt cab. A big thing for a relatively small order of 5 trucks, unless they plan on going after FDNY business in the future, which I HIGHLY doubt will ever happen again. Another one of their issues why they don't want to do business with NYC is because they won't negotiate on themax weight, specifically overloading the rescues beyond what they are spec'd to carry, causing warranty issues that are beyond Pierce's control.

Quote:Maybe it's time for them to develop and market they're own apparatus . This way it will be exactly want they want . nobody really seems to like anything they ever get down there anyhow. Seems every other truck becomes a lemon. Farfetched idea , sure . But it would've made one hell of of a April fools story , until some dude with a second cousin that works for the shops comes on and blasts it.
Just to note, they have the capability to do so. They would however lack the management, manpower, and facilities to put such an operation into place. Also, they've built their own pumpers in the way, way back but it got too much for them if I remember correctly.
Seth Granville

Quote:Pierce won't bid on them due to the fact that FDNY requires according to the bid specs that all mfg's bidding will modify their cab and chassis to meet FDNY specs. Pierce will not modify their cab and chassis other than simple design and cad changes. That and the fact the warranty is more than they want to deal with. Really surprised E-One isn't bidding as they have just done NYPD TSU heavy rigs.The Pierce Rescue was purchased with federal grant money. Pierce was the only vendor on the government contract who could provide that. It didn't go out to bid, and, as a result, some specs were waived.For Pierce to be a contender for the FDNY Contract, they would have to first develop a stainless steel, split tilt cab. A big thing for a relatively small order of 5 trucks, unless they plan on going after FDNY business in the future, which I HIGHLY doubt will ever happen again. Another one of their issues why they don't want to do business with NYC is because they won't negotiate on themax weight, specifically overloading the rescues beyond what they are spec'd to carry, causing warranty issues that are beyond Pierce's control.  Maybe it's time for them to develop and market they're own apparatus . This way it will be exactly want they want . nobody really seems to like anything they ever get down there anyhow. Seems every other truck becomes a lemon. Farfetched idea , sure . But it would've made one hell of of a April fools story , until some dude with a second cousin that works for the shops comes on and blasts it.Just to note, they have the capability to do so. They would however lack the management, manpower, and facilities to put such an operation into place. Also, they've built their own pumpers in the way, way back but it got too much for them if I remember correctly.

They built one pumper in the 1940's.On a ward lafrance chassis I believe not at home to look it up.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

Pierce will not bid do to our warranty requirements.

NEVER FORGET 343

Quote:The Pierce Rescue was purchased with federal grant money. Pierce was the only vendor on the government contract who could provide that. It didn't go out to bid, and, as a result, some specs were waived.

I thought that I read it was purchased by the Airbus Company, and donated?
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Yea it was a grant and they were the only ones who participated. They will not bid on an open bid

NEVER FORGET 343