Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wind Damaged IKEA Sign, Centennial CO 2/18/16
It has been unseasonably warm and windy in the Denver area and a Red Flag Warning was issued on Thursday.  At 18:00 an employee of the IKEA store in Centennial called 911 and reported wind damage to their 110 foot tall sign that might cause a fall hazard.  Battalion Chief 34 was first to arrive and reported two 4'x10" panels of sheet metal loose and moving with wind gusts.  

Regional Transportation District light rail train lines run adjacent to the sign and Interstate 25 runs just to the side of those tracks.  A unified command was established with Arapahoe Sheriff, State Patrol, RTD & CDOT and all train lines and lanes of traffic were shut down in the middle of rush hour. 

The crew of Tower 34 / Heavy Rescue 34 raised their aerial, assessed the damage, geared up and started emergency repair work. 

The crew brought a Kestrel up with them and measured sustained 30 mph winds with gusts to 40.

34's drilled new holes and used bailing wire to secure the panels

Battalion Chief 34 - Shift Commander Mike West 

Safety 32, Lieutenant Camper and Safety 34, Lieutenant Weaver watch closely. 

Safety 32 & Rescue 34

The crew of South Metro Rescue 34 after 90 minutes of aerial time and a safe job complete. 

Great shots of something other than fire! Also a great willingness by the fire department to fix the sign and look out for the safety of the community.

I'm sure our fire department here would have just had the business call a sign shop and stood by until their arrival on this scene and then it would have been 10-8!

Thanks for sharing! 

Cool series!

Great shots of a unique incident!
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Great photos and good coverage of a most unusual event.

Great Work

D.J. Hornacek

Nikon D40 DSLR with a Nikon 70-300MM Lens and a Nikon SB 600 External Flash

Check out my website: http://davids-firetruckphotos.smugmug.com