Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philadelphia Tractor Drawn Aerials
Anyone else hearing stories that Philly has refused several new TDA's?  I'm hearing a few stories as to why but was hoping someone with better intel here could chime in.  Also conflicting reports that the contract is being terminated vs. the rigs are being returned to be repaired / altered to satisfy the city.
I heard rumor the order for MM Ascendants? Anyone able to help me confirm
(04-15-2019, 02:44 PM)grubber33270 Wrote: I heard rumor the order for MM Ascendants? Anyone able to help me confirm

I was told they made it to pre-construction and it was discovered they couldn't fit a 50' bangor ladder and decided to cancel that project.  Supposedly they have since ordered 4 75' Aerialscopes.
I know that the TDA's were pulled from service since they were swaying 4 feet in either direction after hitting 30mph. Not sure on the termination of the tiller contract. I know they cancelled the Ascendant towers as they were not able to get the ground ladder complement they wanted. (Apparently, the non pump towers have a large concrete block in the middle)

-Rob
Rob Leahy Jr.

Captain/EMT

Vice President

Westville Fire Department

Westville New Jersey

Gloucester County
I've seen some recent photos in various Facebook groups of the new Pierce tillers in service. Also, if I remember correctly, they cancelled an order for Tillers with KME in 2015.
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
I have heard the same rumors. I have heard, the MM tower was cancelled for the reasons listed about the ground ladders. The tillers are harder to get a solid line on. I know the original 9 were completed, delivered and have had some issues much like LA City did when they got there newest ones. I have been told several versions about the next 3 that were ordered to include, they were cancelled and that was where the other 3 towers came from to they are getting the 3 ordered and using money in the new budget that was planned for tillers to get the extra towers. So anybodies guess is as good as this.

Either way, Pierce has had some significant issues with those aerials and overall have had some qualities issues with some deliveries over the last few years especially. I know we had a bunch of fit and finish issues that we are still working on two years later.
(04-15-2019, 08:02 PM)chief60 Wrote: I have heard the same rumors. I have heard, the MM tower was cancelled for the reasons listed about the ground ladders. The tillers are harder to get a solid line on. I know the original 9 were completed, delivered and have had some issues much like LA City did when they got there newest ones. I have been told several versions about the next 3 that were ordered to include, they were cancelled and that was where the other 3 towers came from to they are getting the 3 ordered and using money in the new budget that was planned for tillers to get the extra towers. So anybodies guess is as good as this.

Either way, Pierce has had some significant issues with those aerials and overall have had some qualities issues with some deliveries over the last few years especially. I know we had a bunch of fit and finish issues that we are still working on two years later.

Any idea what kind of issues the LA City units had? First I have heard of that, although being on the East coast I don't pay a ton of attention to them.

As far as the trailer swaying at speed goes my first thought is the tak-4 IFS that they use under the trailer. They have an interesting history of doing weird things under the front end of straight body rigs, although it seems like in recent years they have gotten that figured out better.
LA City had several issues, with the turntable design, there were issues with the trailer deck being weak and water was leaking into the compartments, door sealing issues with the compartments, something with the suspension. I don't remember everything off the top of my head. Several had to go back to Wisconsin to get corrected.
According to the bids, Spartan was the only bidder on the new tillers. So it looks like they will be getting the same trailer as the ALF and a Spartan cab.
Just saw a photo of their pre-construction. It is a Spartan short cab with trailer that match the last version of the ALF tillers it appears.