Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting for Fire Apparatus
Another Question I had is what is the best setting on a digital camera to shoot Fire Apparatus with in bright sunlight, is it best to use automatic or another setting, willing to try something new as I get ready start another season of fire apparatus shooting.

Come on Spring !!!! 

Thanks Again
D.J. Hornacek

Nikon D40 DSLR with a Nikon 70-300MM Lens and a Nikon SB 600 External Flash

Check out my website: http://davids-firetruckphotos.smugmug.com
The "best" setting is all a matter of opinion.  Back when I had my Canon T70, I shot all posed apparatus on manual and adjusted f-stop and shutter speed as needed.  I used automatic for parade shots, as there was not enough time to adjust on manual before the rig got away.  When I bought my Canon Rebel XSn, I found that there was no true manual settings on it.  You could choose "aperture priority" or "shutter speed priority".  Neither was acceptable to me, so I started using automatic and have stayed with that setting ever since, even after I went digital with my Canon Rebel T3.

I would recommend that you take several pics of the same subject on a bright, sunny day, using several different settings and see which results you prefer.
(04-11-2019, 11:49 AM)GA_Dave Wrote: The "best" setting is all a matter of opinion.  Back when I had my Canon T70, I shot all posed apparatus on manual and adjusted f-stop and shutter speed as needed.  I used automatic for parade shots, as there was not enough time to adjust on manual before the rig got away.  When I bought my Canon Rebel XSn, I found that there was no true manual settings on it.  You could choose "aperture priority" or "shutter speed priority".  Neither was acceptable to me, so I started using automatic and have stayed with that setting ever since, even after I went digital with my Canon Rebel T3.

I would recommend that you take several pics of the same subject on a bright, sunny day, using several different settings and see which results you prefer.
Thanks for the info,

I just bought a new Nikon the D3000 and have been experimenting with the different settings on it.
D.J. Hornacek

For what it's worth, I shoot almost everything on manual settings and then bracket the exposures.  I use a Canon 5D Mark III, and usually set it with an ISO of 400.  For sunny days, my default exposures are 1/640 at F11.  I bracket using F10, 11 and 13.  Of course, if lighting conditions aren't perfect, shutter speed and aperture settings get changed.  Bright subjects like a white or yellow rig will cause me to increase the aperture settings.

Allan Hunt
(04-11-2019, 07:37 PM)aohunt Wrote: For what it's worth, I shoot almost everything on manual settings and then bracket the exposures.  I use a Canon 5D Mark III, and usually set it with an ISO of 400.  For sunny days, my default exposures are 1/640 at F11.  I bracket using F10, 11 and 13.  Of course, if lighting conditions aren't perfect, shutter speed and aperture settings get changed.  Bright subjects like a white or yellow rig will cause me to increase the aperture settings.

Allan Hunt

Thanks for the info
D.J. Hornacek

thanks for the info guys
Dave