Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicago & Detroit Buff Trip
So I am in the very early stages of planning a buff trip to Chicago and Detroit with another Fire Buff from Minnesota we are planning on driving over and making a few stops for apparatus on our way. 

First off for Chicago any tips tricks hints advise for scene shooting? we plan on just listening to online Feed for calls as we dont really know if there are any other ways to listen. as of now the plan is to stay just south of Midway Airport and spend 2 or 3 days in Chicago hitting Apparatus/Stations and Scenes.  

Detroit: any recommended areas we should stage in? stay away from? same type of plan hit 3 or so days in detroit scenes Apparatus and stations during the day. 

Any assistance would be very much appreciated as neither of us have been to either city before. the trip is planned for Early may 2019.
First question is do you have a scanner? If yes, what type? Chicago can still be monitored with most scanners made over the past 20 years, whereas Detroit requires a scanner capable of P25 Phase I trunking, limiting it to the higher tier scanners of the past 12 years or so. Having a scanner will give you several minutes that you lose on the online feeds, as well as the ability to hold on a specific channel or talkgroup.

I haven't buffed Chicago in quite some time, but the best advice is if a neighborhood doesn't feel right, don't stick around.

Detroit: best advice is to pick a side of town and stick to it. I sit at either Connor St & Gratiot Ave or Livernois Ave at I94. If the time to get to a scene is greater than 12 minutes, don't even start out to it unless they start talking about multiple buildings or a large structure involved.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Hey ed thanks for the reply. We both have scanners. I currently monitor with a radio shack pro 106 as well as a unication G5. I know the other buff going with me has a large quantity of scanners where i dont even know where to begin.

Are both cities usually pretty welcoming for apparatus photos during the daytime between runs?
Also does anyone know where i maybe able to find an accurate list of active fire stations? I have found several online but each one shows a couple differences such as this company. Thanks
(01-16-2019, 11:30 AM)grubber33270 Wrote: Also does anyone know where i maybe able to find an accurate list of active fire stations? I have found several online but each one shows a couple differences such as this company. Thanks

For Detroit Firehouses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Fire_Department

For Chicago Firehouses:
https://chicagoareafire.com/

Not guaranteed, but both departments are generally pretty helpful and accommodating for apparatus photos.

Detroit has rest time in the afternoon. Usually if guys are up they will still help you out but often times everyone is resting in the afternoon as they run a lot at night. The whole city is very dangerous.

For Chicago, it's truly a big city, very congested,  downtown and many of the north side houses are tough to photograph at. Some places are nearly impossible. I think you'll have your better luck on the South and West sides for places that will be accommodating with room to shoot the rigs. Again, theses are your more violent areas though, so be very aware of your surroundings.

Google earth is a good reference for looking at firehouses to see what seems doable or not.

Like I said, have generally found both departments to be helpful and welcoming but bare in mind both departments see a lot of buffs stopping to visit.

Hope this helps, Ryan
(01-16-2019, 11:30 AM)grubber33270 Wrote: Also does anyone know where i maybe able to find an accurate list of active fire stations? I have found several online but each one shows a couple differences such as this company. Thanks

https://www.firepics.net/MyBB/misc.php?p...onDatabase
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Thanks Guys, Chicago and Detroit Maps are now complete. We have a couple mapped out that we would like to visit. as well as a couple other departments in between the 2 cities.

The trip is not until May if anyone else as any Tips, Tricks, Advice on how, when, Where to Buff at in Chicago or Detroit for Incidents. Please we welcome it.
(01-13-2019, 10:24 PM)edburke Wrote: First question is do you have a scanner?  If yes, what type?  Chicago can still be monitored with most scanners made over the past 20 years, whereas Detroit requires a scanner capable of P25 Phase I trunking, limiting it to the higher tier scanners of the past 12 years or so.  Having a scanner will give you several minutes that you lose on the online feeds, as well as the ability to hold on a specific channel or talkgroup.

Chicago FD is non-trunked UHF P25 for dispatch and UHF analog for fireground. Most of the suburbs around the city are analog VHF and a bunch of other departments further out are on the statewide P25 trunked system.  "News paging" systems like IPN (requires a paid subscription) are very active in IL in addition to some Facebook groups and even the CFD Twitter account.
Couple of hints

Chicago  go by E-84 and L-51.  They are southeast and across the highway from Comisky Park (or whatever it is called now).  They don't get many visitors and may not let you leave if you are polite and respectful.  They have memorials to all the K-9 that have been assigned there and a model of their old house---The Castle in the Ghetto.  The building is still standing.  I recommend you at least show up in the daylight.  They will guide you home.

In Detroit I hang out on the Delta side of the McDonald at I-75 and Mack.  E-9 and L-6 is my favorite house. They have a new tower and a pretty large apron. Believe it or not I never felt in danger Motown, but when the fire is out leave, the troops pack up very quickly and the safety they provide will be gone by the time you get to your car.  Also I have never had to park without my car in sight.  There are lots of wide streets and vacant land on which to park in Detroit.

In these or any other city, I do not approach the station unless the bay doors are open.  Just a courtesy.
Hey Maxim Thank you for the Reply good advice.

I never knew CFD Had K9 Units. are they search and Rescue dogs or Arson Investigator?

A couple other things another Fire Buff and I would be interested in and we are not sure if its possible or not but a Ride along with either CFD or DFD for a couple hours. as well as tours of the communications centers? has anyone had any luck with either of these or know where to begin.

We are getting alot closer to the date so we are locking in more details. We plan to drive from Minnesota to Madison Wi on Friday May 2nd. Stay over night in Madison and Buff the Madison Wi Area the next day as well as Rockford Illinois. we are not sure if we plan to drive straight thru to Detroit from Madison Saturday evening or if we should Stop for 1 night in Chicago. we plan to stay 3-4 nights in Each City.

For Detroit we are looking at a Hotel in the Dearborn Heights area right off of Michigan ave. We hope this is not too far away from Detroit to catch a good Fire, we dont plan on spending much time in the room. just plan on being on the road alot more then in hotel.

A 2nd option for hotel in Detroit would be in Livonia. Just off of the highway it looks to be alot closer to Detroit. my only concern is it a safe area.

For Chicago we are staying just South of the Midway Airport Near Station 127, and near Bedford Park Station 2. again hoping this is not too far away from the action. it seems to be a little tougher in Chicago being we wont be able to hear the companies dispatched just arriving on scene.