Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REV group buying KME?
Anyone else heard this rumor?

Not heard that one. I do know they made a play for Medix Ambulance builders but were turned down.

I've heard it, but have not yet found anything to confirm it.

That would be interesting considering their portfolio also incudes E\-One.  I've heard some other rumors lately (winking at you Spartan ER). 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY

Seems these rumors always pop up just before FDIC.

Bob

Retired and still a tax payer.
From the Times News (our local paper).

http://www.tnonline.com/2016/apr/11/kova...ion-sold-0

Kovatch Corporation, Carbon County's largest employer, is selling its fire truck business to a Florida based company. But local employees are not expected to be affected by the move, according to company officials.

A deal is being finalized to sell the Nesquehoning-based fire truck manufacturer to REV Group, a Florida based company which owns a number of specialty vehicle manufacturers.

John Kovatch IV, the company's vice president and customer service director, confirmed the deal on Monday. It only affects the company's emergency vehicle business.

Kovatch IV said the sale should be concluded this week. The news was announced to employees on Monday. Kovatch IV was optimistic that the number of jobs in Nesquehoning will grow, not decrease, as a result of the deal.

Both companies are privately held. REV Group, which changed its name last year from Allied Specialty Vehicles last year.

Kovatch IV's grandfather, John "Sonny" Kovatch II, founded the business in 1946, and first opened its manufacturing facility at the intersection of routes 209 and 54 in 1950. Since then it has grown to become Carbon County's largest employer, with more than 700 employees. John Kovatch III currently serves as the company's CEO.

Kovatch IV said for the company's local employees, there will be no changes resulting from the deal. He actually expects the number of employees at the Nesquehoning site to go up once the transaction is complete.

"It's a great opportunity for all of our employees, and all of our customers," he said.
So what is the gain from doing something such as this?  I don't quite understand as KME seems to be doing pretty well for themselves and now this.

That is interesting, wonder how that will work out bidding on things. Are they 1 company or considered 2? Anyone know how they have been handling sales for their multiple ambulance companies?

Wow that is some interesting news. Really thought KME was doing well as a company. Well, KME will soon be joining E\-One as part of the REV Group.

People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
Quote:That is interesting, wonder how that will work out bidding on things. Are they 1 company or considered 2? Anyone know how they have been handling sales for their multiple ambulance companies?

Not sure how they handle it elsewhere, but here in the Midwest (MI, OH, IN, IL, WI) they still have individual dealers for each ambulance product.  Therefore they bid them as separate entities.

Pricing is all over the place, so I can't figure out any pattern. 

I only know of a few situations where departments said only one bid per ownership group.  In those few cases the customer determined who was allowed to bid. 

Kris
http://www.revgroup.com/press/2016/04/re...s-kovatch/

Heard Spartan and Darley being looked at too.  Can anyone confirm this?

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
Sounds like another American Lafrance to me. One group buys up all good company's, then takes all the money out for share holders and run them into the ground. 

Having worked for ALF/MedicMaster all I can say is I sure hope not. Most of what I know (not a lot by any stretch) is ambulance side. I do know Medix turned down a pretty large offer.

I've heard some things...I'll say it won't shock me if Spartan one day sheds the ER division. 

Historically, when a larger company gobbles up smaller companies...those names don't all stick around.  Look at all the names the reincarnated ALF killed and ask Saulsbury how their deal ended.  E\-One has thrived under REV.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  One company now owns the 3rd and 4th largest fire apparatus manufacturers in America. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY
I understand from a reliable source who attended this year's FDCI that the sale to REV  was brought about  by KME's inability to repay a 10 Million + dollar to a foreign bank.  The money had been borrowed to pay for items needed to fullfill orders such as the big one from FDNY.

I heard that as well.  Also heard REV is looking at acquiring a 3rd major manufacturer. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY
Quote:I heard that as well.  Also heard REV is looking at acquiring a 3rd major manufacturer. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY

Could you be on to something with your Spartan ER statement? I kind of figured that's who it was about the time you first said that.

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Look at Spartan's 2015 Annual Report on line, they look ripe for picking by REV.  They had an operating loss of 12.5 million dollars.  Stock is trading for less than $5 a share.  Can you spell Spartan Division of REV!!

I think Spartan's ER division would be a tough buy.  KME and E\-One are self-sufficient and totally independent.  I assume Spartan ER would be totally split off from Spartan Motors, removing Spartan ER's infrastructure.  It would be like getting HME/Ahrens-Fox without HME, they're really kind of one in the same.  Unless...REV bought Spartan on the whole.  I was thinking more along the lines of another independent builder....one in Wisconsin...but not in Appleton.  KME and E\-One also give REV a pretty balanced sales market across the US.  The two may not necessarily be actually competing against one another.  Same with said Wisconsin builder...E\-One and Seagrave don't generally compete against each other. In fact, Seagrave doesn't really compete with anyone.  Most of their current customers WANT a Seagrave.  This would give them 2 distinct full-line builders with sales markets all over the country and one low-volume, high end builder.  Just my two cents. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY