Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone have any updates on Chicago squads.
I was looking at the FDIC 2016 pics and got to thinking about the Chicago squads. Is rosenbauer still going to build them or since Smeal had several Snorkels and Squirts at FDIC it would make sense to cancel the order with Rosenbauer and go with Smeal

Any thoughts? 

I saw recent pics on Facebook and Chicago Fire site of 3 of the cab/chassis underway of the Rosenbauer "Snorkels"

http://chicagoareafire.com/blog/2016/04/...ds-more-2/
Thanks for the information. 

Was at the rosenbauer open house today in Wyoming mn. Got to take a look at the squads for Chicago there were 4 up there nothing with snorkels on them or anything that looked like it would have q snorkel down the line I believe those are at a different plant, one was painted yellow for o-hare other 3 were red one of the red ones looked complete other then graphics other 3 missing doors or other accessories. No one was allowed to take any photos even near these rigs they looked quite nice. They are walk around squads on the commander chassis.
Thanks for the information grubber. It's a disappointment that the Squads are walk around types because the current ones  are the walk in types. Even though Chicago has 4 two piece Squads on order, I believe that the 4th one for O"Hare  is foolish and can be better used as a 4th Squad for the city proper where it would get  more work. Squad 7 at O"Hare Field has been using  a very large 2000 Pierce Walk In Squad and several months ago was rehabbed and reconditioned  so it just seems a waste to put a Snorkel/Squad at the airport . If you were familiar with the way Chicago is laid out  you would know how Chicago's south side is larger in area then Chicago's north side or the Central part of the city which includes downtown and the west side. The busiest of the Chicago's Squads is Squad 5 which covers most of the south side and it has a much larger district then the other 2 Squads that are located in the city proper and it just would make more sense to put a second Squad in service which would cover the far south side  then to put a Snorkel/Squad in service at O"Hare field  where they recently  rebuilt and reconditioned the Heavy Duty Squad and there is a full sized Tower Ladder at O Hare Field as well. Even though Squad 7 at O"Hare field doesn't run with a Snorkel it does run with a mini foam pumper as it's second piece that can be used for fighting fire in the multi level parking lot at the airport.

Given all that goes on in that city as it pertains to fire and ems response one would think they would be far more supported by the city. I understand they have fiscal issues . Show me any urban American city with fiscal issues and I'll show you a dept. that's probably woefully supported fiscally . That being said , if anything ever makes sense , rarely will it ever be applied to an agency that would make the most of it.
Quote:Given all that goes on in that city as it pertains to fire and ems response one would think they would be far more supported by the city. I understand they have fiscal issues . Show me any urban American city with fiscal issues and I'll show you a dept. that's probably woefully supported fiscally . That being said , if anything ever makes sense , rarely will it ever be applied to an agency that would make the most of it.
One of the things that is quite positive here in Chicago is that the fire department has been very lucky in many ways. Chicago is one of  the few big cities that normally run with 5 man Engines and Truck companies.The Union (Local 2) also fared pretty well in the negotiations with the City and it's relatively new mayor a few years ago and manpower reductions weren't made as the city was talking about reducing the manpower at double company (Engine and Truck) stations by taking the 5th man off of the Engines in stations were Engines and Trucks were located together. Chicago  also didn't reduce companies in service in recent years either and we never had to deal with rolling brownouts  that some other fire departments had to deal with. In the previous union contract which was in effect during the early and mid 2000's fire suppression companies couldn't be reduced so while 3 Engine companies had been taken out of service during the mid 2000's they were replaced by 2 new Truck companies and a second Hazardous Materials company. Two years ago Chicago's 15 BLS (basic life support) Ambulances were converted into ALS (Advanced Life Support) units which had increased  the fleet from 60 to 75 ALS ambulances and also had eliminated the BLS ambulance program which was begun in June of 2000.
I apologize that's my typo they are walk in type, rear door, side doors the whole 9 yards I really wish I could of gotten some photos of them. Also wish I could have seen the snorkel squads the ones we could see we're not going to be snorkel squads didn't have any signs of being set up that way not outriggers or housing.

Quote:Thanks for the information grubber. It's a disappointment that the Squads are walk around types because the current ones  are the walk in types. Even though Chicago has 4 two piece Squads on order, I believe that the 4th one for O"Hare  is foolish and can be better used as a 4th Squad for the city proper where it would get  more work. Squad 7 at O"Hare Field has been using  a very large 2000 Pierce Walk In Squad and several months ago was rehabbed and reconditioned  so it just seems a waste to put a Snorkel/Squad at the airport . If you were familiar with the way Chicago is laid out  you would know how Chicago's south side is larger in area then Chicago's north side or the Central part of the city which includes downtown and the west side. The busiest of the Chicago's Squads is Squad 5 which covers most of the south side and it has a much larger district then the other 2 Squads that are located in the city proper and it just would make more sense to put a second Squad in service which would cover the far south side  then to put a Snorkel/Squad in service at O"Hare field  where they recently  rebuilt and reconditioned the Heavy Duty Squad and there is a full sized Tower Ladder at O Hare Field as well. Even though Squad 7 at O"Hare field doesn't run with a Snorkel it does run with a mini foam pumper as it's second piece that can be used for fighting fire in the multi level parking lot at the airport.
First pix of new squads up:

http://chicagoareafire.com/blog/2016/07/.../#comments
https://www.facebook.com/RosenbauerAmeri...2632627472

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Looks like Squad 1 has it's lettering!!  I think they look sharp, just MHO.

Jason Knecht
Fire Inspector
Township Fire Dept., Inc.
Eau Claire, WI
I stopped by rosenbauer on Sunday a set of squads were sitting on the delivery floor
Here are some pics

Jason Knecht
Fire Inspector
Eau Claire, WI
Dammit! Why cant I post anything!! Ugh this is frustrating!
Jason Knecht
Fire Inspector
Eau Claire, WI
Quote:Dammit! Why cant I post anything!! Ugh this is frustrating!
what size are your photos 200k is the max. 
Quote:Dammit! Why cant I post anything!! Ugh this is frustrating!

Pics have to go on the board, this is just for discussion
https://olkee.smugmug.com/Mabas-Division-9-City-Of/Ch/
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Rosenbauer Group's European website has a nice panoramic shot of all the Squads lined up

http://www.rosenbauer.com/en/au/rosenbauer-group.html
More Australian images at https://www.flickr.com/gp/pobox448/0Uh2hk