Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pierce Ascendant
Can anyone on the board offer reviews - good, bad or indifferent about the Pierce Ascendant?

Thanks in Advance!!

Rob Atwater

Lieutenant

Derry Fire

Engine 4/Truck 4

Derry, NH
We got to preview one and put it through its paces. If you are looking for a single axle quint, it is excellent. I like having the extra reach. Aerial was smooth and it was a quick set up.  The single axle with no pump was pretty interesting if you want a straight truck company. I would look for the 107' to be available on a tandem axle and dare I say maybe even replace the 105'. 

We have previewed one as well, looking for any one who has put one in service and used it. 

Thanks!

Rob Atwater

Lieutenant

Derry Fire

Engine 4/Truck 4

Derry, NH

Although I haven't experienced one, I just want to add in the City Of Bridgeport CT will be adding one to their fleet. Thattruck will be put through it's paces in that busy city.
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
I have seen two different demo apparatus so far, but they were very similar.  Operationally, I believe the Ascendant Aerial is a great product, but the two rigs I saw have major lack of compartment space issues.  There is a PUC quint body being developed for the Ascendant that will have more compartment space, but I have yet to see one.  For my former FD, the current design would require the addition of a trailer for all the stuff they carry!

Quote:I have seen two different demo apparatus so far, but they were very similar.  Operationally, I believe the Ascendant Aerial is a great product, but the two rigs I saw have major lack of compartment space issues.  There is a PUC quint body being developed for the Ascendant that will have more compartment space, but I have yet to see one.  For my former FD, the current design would require the addition of a trailer for all the stuff they carry!

I thought it may have been you that's been over a couple of them, but I couldn't remember for sure, so I didn't want to speak out of line.

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Lot of extension restriction ans stability issues.

During a demo, the chief try to put 3 man at the tip but after two, the jack on the opposite left the ground about 6''. Also this truck have some extension limitation on the front. During another demo, a competitor hit the top of the building with a 75'' and the ascendant fail Because of the extension limitation. I seen the first demo and have couple of picture but I just heard about the second
I have similar stories about one of the jacks lifting off the ground. There is also presentation put together by rosenbauer showing its fallbacks IE the firm on ground sensor for the jacks. It's worth taking with a grain of salt considering who made it but at the same time there's some valuable information.

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Quote:I have similar stories about one of the jacks lifting off the ground. There is also presentation put together by rosenbauer showing its fallbacks IE the firm on ground sensor for the jacks. It's worth taking with a grain of salt considering who made it but at the same time there's some valuable information.
Do you have a link to the Rosenbauer presentation?  I'd like to see it if you do.  With a product like this my first instinct is that someone is really pushing the limits on something that can't be faked or magically changed - physics.  I have yet to operate one for myself but I'm very curious about what it can and can't do.