Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boston Pumper Bid
Boston is taking bids for 23 new engines. 

According to the bid, First a prototype within 105 days of the PO issued, then 3 more 90 days later, 3 more 30 days later and the last 4, 30 days after that, all 11 by July 15th, 2017.

Then 3 more by July 15th, 2017.

3 more by August 15th, 2017.

3 more by Sept 15th 2017.

last 3 by July 15th, 2018.

Looks like its a short 28'6" and all showing 30 gallon foam tanks with Novacool foam.

Thanks for the info. Is E\-One th expected frontrunner?

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Those are some really ambitious delivery time frames.  A lot of the individual components (engines, axles, pumps, etc) have lead times longer than 105 days so that would make it extremely challenging for most bidders I would think.  From what I have been hearing, most of the mfg's are between 300 and 365 days right now for pumpers.  A few may have program pumpers available in much less time, but that would be a very generic rig that surely would't be anything close to what Boston wants.  I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

It will be interesting. I would imagine there is a prototype being worked on as we speak. I know KME and Pierce are both very busy with extended build times right now. The Northeast seems to like their E-Ones, our experience has been terrible with them. In reading the spec I picture them very similar to the short E\-One pumpers they currently have.
When the potential order is for 23 pumpers, I'm sure that scale can expedite getting the parts they need. Some manufacturers even start a second production line for such large orders.

As for E\-One, I really think they've turned a corner with quality. You see major cities that beat on their apparatus, such as Boston and Chicago, returning to E\-One.

Seth Granville
From what I've heard, it'll likely be either Pierce or E\-One. E\-One had a SUPER QUICK turnaround on the rearmount ladders, as in just a few months from the order. 5th tag-on to the ones just delivered to Greenwood just started on the production line. They are seemingly doing everything they can to appease BFD. I would actually be floored if its not E\-One. 11 pumpers essentially 10 months from now is nothing. Its seems ambitious but its completely doable. And the fact is, they've talked to manufacturers they'd prefer already. Absolutely no doubt about that. And they've likely been told that their requests are doable

<p class="bbc_center">Kevin White

Fireground Photographer

www.KDWFirePhotos.com
I am sure it is doable, they actually only run 9-10 weeks on build time. It will be interesting to see how pricing works out. they want some extended warranties that will drive the cost up and a $150 penalty per day if the truck is out of service for more than 30 days each year for the first two years.

Can anyone provide a link to the spec?  I'd love to read the warranty and penalty info. Thanks, shaner

See if this will work for you. If not, go to Bostons' website under procurement, then supplier portal and you will see the bid for engines.

https://procurement.cityofboston.gov/psp...IONS_R.GBL
Thanks chief

I know around here, Pierce and KME are both running 15-17 months on custom deliveries.  Rosenbauer was way up there too when they got slammed with Commander orders, but they're still over 12 months.  E\-One and Seagrave are around 10 months.  And I don't know about others' experience with Spartan ER...but...not great around here...in fact, terrible.  E\-One's quality is night and day what it was even just a few years ago...very solid.  On the flip side, Pierce has had major problems around here. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY
Seagrave has been pumping them out. We've had numerous Seagrave deliveries around here that have been way ahead of schedule.

Seth Granville
Does anyone know why there is a 1989 Ford/E-One Engine on Firetec Website under recent delivered section for the Boston Fire department. the rig says it is from Dorien Center NY?

Quote:Does anyone know why there is a 1989 Ford/E-One Engine on Firetec Website under recent delivered section for the Boston Fire department. the rig says it is from Dorien Center NY?

It doesn't necessarily mean it was delivered to the Boston Fire Department.  The truck was purchased by someone in the Boston area, whether it be a private collector or smaller department in/around the Boston area.
KME...Hmmmm

Fireman Jim Flaherty

Norwood FD (ret)

Boston Citywide 107
Any info on the bid.

We're hoping it's E\-One. Word is, whoever gets the bid is designing an entirely new pump panel, basically a "Boston panel", for all the new pumpers.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.
The bid has been won by E\-One. A prototype with a newly designed "Boston Pump Panel" is scheduled to be delivered in January. Among changes they will no longer have internal relief valves, we will be going back to Jaffrey valves. The new panel is expected to be very user friendly. Pending acceptance of the prototype, we will take delivery of 23 pumpers over the ensuing 16 months.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.
Thanks for the update Sean!
Seth Granville
Skip. Any news on rescue two, and tower ladder replacement. Anyone using the word tiller lately.