Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Los Angeles County Fire Dept
[quote name='Chasselber1' post='96578' date='Apr 10 2007, 08:47 ']I'm from the east coast and we don't have many large forest fires and I was wondering if a camp is like a fire station with bays and the like. Any body have a picture of one?[/quote]

Well, i dont have any pics of camps for you (the CDC folks can be a little prickly at times). But yes the camps are like fire stations/ summer camps. They have a fire engine that they use for camp protection, some of the camps are in very remote and insanely beautiful locations... Calfire (CDF) has 39 throughout the state. Sometime, yes the camps have bays and the like. I'll see if I have a good picture. Here is some info on the Calfire camp program.

[url="http://www.fire.ca.gov/fire_er_content/downloads/CampsJune2005.pdf"]http://www.fire.ca.gov/fire_er_content/dow...mpsJune2005.pdf[/url]
[quote name='Chasselber1' post='96578' date='Apr 10 2007, 09:47 ']I'm from the east coast and we don't have many large forest fires and I was wondering if a camp is like a fire station with bays and the like. Any body have a picture of one?[/quote]

I've seen some photos of the camps just a few outside shots of them and do have bays for the crew carrier busses though the camps are hard to get to as they're located high mountain areas
[quote name='badbrad' post='96468' date='Apr 10 2007, 08:24 ']And yes, as Casey said they are very good at fighting fire.[/quote]

I second that motion! They are amazing to watch. I was on a a fire where we laid a progressive hoselay 1000' on a sidehill due to the steep grade. The Ben Lomand (CalFire) camp crew came in and cut line right up the face of that hill. It had to be a 65-70 degree slope at least. They looked like a glow in the dark caterpillar coming up the hill (we were looking down from up above). The CDC officers definitely keep them on a short leash. No talking to us or anything. They eat last, and away from the municipal crews. They are very, very, very good at what they do.
[Image: MVC-015S.jpg]

Rear view shot of Engine 244
[quote name='casey' post='96416' date='Apr 10 2007, 06:18 ']The crews are supervised by both their Crew Leader and also by CDC (California Dept. of Corrections).

They are very good at fighting fire. They can travel outside of the county to help cut firelines on major fires like the one that killed the 5 USFS FF's late last year, out in Riverside County. Very hard working cheap labor.[/quote]

The camp crews have also been used for non fire incidents several LA County hand crews were used during the La Conchita mudslide

During non emergency incident I believe the paid hand crews are out helping to maintain fire roads
Sounds like a very well planned and benefitial program for all involved.
[Image: 002_2.jpg]

Engine 7 West Hollywood
[quote name='JFong' post='94876' date='Apr 6 2007, 07:13 ']The standard Ford Crown Victoria[/quote]

[Image: IMG_0559.jpg]
Battalion 1

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: IMG_0558.jpg]

Battalion 12
[Image: 017_14.jpg]

Battalion 44

Battalion Chief in charge of the Camps
USAR Tender 134

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
USAR 134

Photo by Me

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
[quote name='JFong' post='99027' date='Apr 17 2007, 20:03 ']USAR Tender 134[/quote]

Good reserve Squad's are so hard to find these days

What is the reason behind Rescue Tender 103 and Rescue Tender 134?

[Image: IMG_0556.jpg]

Rescue Tender 103
When I asked for a tour of the USAR Tender, all I saw on 134's was a horse rescue sled. I was told it holds stuff that couldn't fit on the USAR. That or the crews use it to transport equipment to places where the Freightliner can't fit.
[Image: 017_14A.jpg]

Dozer Tender

This unit follows in front of the Dozer transport with a sign that says wide load and is driven by the dozer operator I believe i carries fuel and other equipment for maintaining the dozer
[Image: 018_15A.jpg]

Dozer 2 aboard Transport 7

The dozer teams during non red flag days are housed at Pacioma which is where Barton Heliport home to LACoFD Air Ops is located

During red flag santa anna days the dozer teams are pre deployed to selected Station's around the county

They're also dispatched on 2nd alarm structure fires
Has anyone been able to get some more shots of the new LACo Battalions? (I think they were '07 Tahoes/Suburbans)
Here's one of LA County's new CAF's Engines before being outfitted at the LA County shops.

2007 KME Predator 1500/500 CAF's, La Co #F1588 (unassigned at the time). There was another CAF's engine in the shops lettered for Engine 24.

- Photo by Steve Skaar.

Attached Files Image(s)

Are all future purchases going to the Chicago style paint job?? Also, that pic of E7 above......that a Pirsch?? Sure looks like an 80's model.