Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Los Angeles County Fire Dept
[Image: 016_13A.jpg]

Engine 97 North Azusa
[quote name='Monrovia1' post='95173' date='Apr 6 2007, 23:53 ']They are USAR Cache assigned to various stations around the county they are housed at Station;s 32. 59,70,126.129.161.163 and towed by the utllitys when needed

The last time I've seen them in use was the Montebello train derailment in 2003[/quote]

I recall seeing one of those trailers being towed by a GMC stake bed truck running around as a USAR years back before the USAR team got their Hackney's
People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
[quote name='Monrovia1' post='89580' date='Mar 22 2007, 12:13 ']They have a reserve trailor for the USAR Not sure where it's kept but one night while returning from a call in the most northern section of 82's area, The brakes on the rear duals on the trailor of USAR 103 caught fire as they were getting on the freeway to head back home

A Camp Crew was summoned to assist on the crew of USAR 103 with loading up the reserve trailor this occured around midnight[/quote]

May sound stupid, But what is a Camp Crew??

BTW: Great shots everyone, Always loved LAs Rigs!
Monrovia 1 would have a better explanation but a camp crew is the crews you see at a brush/wildfire fire. They are specially trained in wildfire firefighting and usually do tasks such as clearing a fire line.
People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
[url="http://fire.lacounty.gov/AirWildland/AirWildlandFireCamps.asp#TrainingReqs"]http://fire.lacounty.gov/AirWildland/AirWi...sp#TrainingReqs[/url]
So they are on call to respond but arent always on shift at a station??
[quote name='NSW Emergency Pics' post='95936' date='Apr 8 2007, 23:09 ']So they are on call to respond but arent always on shift at a station??[/quote]

Usually they are stationed at a camp
24-7 untill they get a call?? Seems like punishment lol
[quote name='NSW Emergency Pics' post='95938' date='Apr 8 2007, 23:53 ']24-7 untill they get a call?? Seems like punishment lol[/quote]

The inmate crews are on call 24-7

I believe the FSA's work 12 hour shifts
[Image: IMG_0565.jpg]

Patrol 91 Hacienda Heights
[Image: IMG_1859.jpg]

Engine 32 Azusa CA
By inmate crews i take it you mean prisoners??
[quote name='NSW Emergency Pics' post='95969' date='Apr 9 2007, 05:13 ']By inmate crews i take it you mean prisoners??[/quote]

Yes, that is correct. The inmates are doing time for low grade felonies and other minor crimes. There are also Juvenile Inmate Crews as well.
[quote name='casey' post='95979' date='Apr 9 2007, 05:28 ']Yes, that is correct. The inmates are doing time for low grade felonies and other minor crimes. There are also Juvenile Inmate Crews as well.[/quote]

Also all female inmate crews as well.... CDF (excuse me CalFire) has female inmate crews in San Diego county at 2 different camps. I belive LA county has female inmate crews as well.
[quote name='badbrad' post='96308' date='Apr 9 2007, 18:42 ']Also all female inmate crews as well.... CDF (excuse me CalFire) has female inmate crews in San Diego county at 2 different camps. I belive LA county has female inmate crews as well.[/quote]

Yes, They do have female inmate crews at Camp 13 in Malibu, last I heard.
[Image: 025_22.jpg]

Safety Officer vehicle
How do they keep the convicts from running off???

Are they any good at fighting fire?
[quote name='Lime Guy' post='96405' date='Apr 10 2007, 04:36 ']How do they keep the convicts from running off???

Are they any good at fighting fire?[/quote]

The crews are supervised by both their Crew Leader and also by CDC (California Dept. of Corrections).

They are very good at fighting fire. They can travel outside of the county to help cut firelines on major fires like the one that killed the 5 USFS FF's late last year, out in Riverside County. Very hard working cheap labor.
[quote name='Lime Guy' post='96405' date='Apr 10 2007, 03:36 ']How do they keep the convicts from running off???

Are they any good at fighting fire?[/quote]

The convicts are low risk minimum security inmates. All of the camps where they are based for the most part do not even have fences. The inmates since they are low risk, and assigned to fire camp are living 'the good life' as compared with being inside the 'big house'. They have a lot more freedom, they get to travel all around the state and fight fire and if I remember right they get one day off of their sentence for every day they fight fire. So that is what keeps the inmates from running away. That and the CDC guards. Yes they do run off occasionally and bad things happen... an inmate who escaped a camp in Northern California recently shot and killed a San Francisco PD officer before being killed himself. Also the CDC recently caught an inmate who had escaped from camp something like 30 years ago.

And yes, as Casey said they are very good at fighting fire.
I'm from the east coast and we don't have many large forest fires and I was wondering if a camp is like a fire station with bays and the like. Any body have a picture of one?
Chad

Deputy Fire Chief
Clinton Volunteer Fire Department
www.clintonvfd.org

Washington DC Fire Department
FireFighter Truck Co. 15