Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History of the Atlanta Fire Dept.
Here is what could be the start of a very informative tour of the Atlanta Fire Dept. with photos of apparatus and stations both past and present.If anyone has anything they would like to add please do.This is an attempt to document History and profile the Atlanta Fire Dept.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Here are a few photos from my trip to Atlanta in August 1986.I was not as big a buff then as today and the pictures show.First up is a photo of Sta.1 in it's current location at 71 Elliot St. SW there were several locations for Sta.1 thru the years.Firemick and myself have been busy criss crossing the city taking photos and uncovering whatever history there is to be found.Several hundred photos have already been taken and have just begun to scratch the surface.

Jim Kay

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Here is historic Station No. 6, Built in 1894, Fire Station No. 6 served the "Sweet Auburn" community until 1991. It is located

on the corner of Auburn Avenue NE and Boulevard NE and was home to Engine Company 6. Now it is owned by the National Park Service/Dept. of the Interior and is the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site. It has an old Fire Engine 6 (American LaFrance) and an old Housewatch area inside.

Here are a few of the apparatus from sta.1 as taken in August 1986.Unfortunately they are from the front only.First up is a face shot of Engine 1 an old Mack and notice the turret on the roof.

Jim Kay

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Here is Ladder 1 in there older Seagrave tiller from 1986 notice the emblem on the nose "Company 1 Prompt to Action" and if you look closely in the bay on the officers side you can see the step van of then "Squad 5"

Jim Kay

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Here is another photo of a squad unit running out of sta.1 in August of 1986.Not sure what there were called during this era.

Attached Files Image(s)

Jim Kay

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Here is a photo of then Squad 5 as it sat in the city maint. yard,We were told the FD had just taken delivery of it in August 1986.

Jim Kay

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Atlanta Engine 1, 1961 Pirsch 1500/??? pumper, Pirsch #2501.

- 1963 Photo by Steve Skaar

Attached Files Image(s)

Here is a photo of another rescue leaving sta. 2 in August of 1986.The present day location at 1568 Jonesboro Rd SE.I wish I had taken better photos during this time. Of course this was the only truck photographed.

Jim Kay

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Atlanta Engine 24 using a 1963 Ford C/Pirsch 1000/400 pumper, Pirsch #PI-19, lettered for Engine 17.

- Photo by Steve Skaar

Attached Files Image(s)

Atlanta Truck 29, 1965 Pirsch 85-foot Snorkel, Pirschh #2799.

- 1984 Photo by Steve Skaar

Atlanta 1962 Ford C/Pirsch 75-foot MM aerial, Pirsch #PH-63, old Ladder 12.

Atlanta Engine 14, 1966 American LaFrance 1000/500, ALF # unknown.

Atlanta Ladder 21, 1966 Ford C/Pirsch 85-foot TDA, Pirsvh #PJ-30. That's all the apparatus I have from the 60s for Atlanta.

These are pics of the stones out in front of Station 1. The current Station 1 (71 Elliot St SW) built in 1961 has the old stone plaque from Station 1 built in 1892 (which was located at 44 W. Alabama St) the new plaque (1961) and a memorial to Chief Joyner as well. The pic that Steve Skaar had taken with the 1961 Pirsch is very interesting in that it must have been the first Engine 1 from that house. I will be posting a ton of modern apparatus pics as well.

[quote name='firebuff55407' post='115437' date='Jun 3 2007, 22:16 ']Atlanta Truck 29, 1965 Pirsch 85-foot Snorkel, Pirschh #2799.

- 1984 Photo by Steve Skaar[/quote]

Awesome pics. Here is the current Truck 29. A Spartan/Quality/LTI midmount stick.

Here is my photo of Atlanta Sta.6 taken in August of 1986 located at the intersection of Boulevard and Auburn,where it remained open until 1991.

Jim Kay

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Today Sta.6 in it's life as a Fire Museum and Bookstore for the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site.

Jim Kay

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
very cool photos, keep them coming.
Atlanta Ladder 2, 1970 Seagrave 85-foot MM aerial, Seagrave #R4554.

- 1974 Photo by Steve Skaar

Attached Files Image(s)