Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delaware Fire stations
Robbins Hose Co. #1, Dover; HQ station

Governor Ave. side, most apparatus responds from bays on side street.

These bays hold support/utilty vehicles, and a nice museum displaying a 1955 Mack B engine and a 1937 Seagrave aerial.

WW Jenkins image

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Dover's substation with engine

WW Jenkins image

Dover stations seem to go for the recessed door frames.

Good pictures!

tHANKs
tHANKs
It's not every fire company that can boast once having a current POTUS attend one of their parades, but the members of Dover can! POTUS stands for President of the United States. When Harry S Truman was President he was invited and came. My source for that is a hardcover history of Robbins Hose Company that I got at the Allentown fire flea market, I think back in the 80's when it was still called Spring Thaw and not Spring Melt. Yes, there is a picture showing HST being present.
Rich Dean, Butler, New Jersey, USA

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

Dispatcher at Butler Police Communications from March 1975 to July 2009

Secretary of North Jersey Volunteer Firemen's Association since 1980

Member of Tri-Boro First Aid Squad (volunteer ems) since 2000 as a driver

Member of many Yahoogroups, owner of some such as:

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

[post="0"]RailfanEvents Yahoogroup[/post]

[post="0"]Railpics Yahoogroup[/post]
[quote name='Richard_L_Dean_07405' date='24 April 2010 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1272156798' post='377904']

It's not every fire company that can boast once having a current POTUS attend one of their parades, but the members of Dover can! POTUS stands for President of the United States. When Harry S Truman was President he was invited and came. My source for that is a hardcover history of Robbins Hose Company that I got at the Allentown fire flea market, I think back in the 80's when it was still called Spring Thaw and not Spring Melt. Yes, there is a picture showing HST being present.

[/quote]

I remember President Truman. Never knew he went to Dover.
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
THanks!

The Townsend VFD suffered the loss of about 2/3 of their station when it collapsed during the February blizzards. Some of the rigs are being housed elsewhere,as the remaining bays are not very deep.

The TVFD members were involved in fund raising at a nearby business to rebuild. This photo shows the temporary rear wall and the outline of the part that collapsed.

WW Jenkins images, 4/10/10

Propane tanks with no protection is like a time bomb waiting to go off.

tHANKs
tHANKs
Christiana 3, New Castle County

Minquas 23, Newport, New Castle County

Wilmington Manor 32, New Castle, New Castle County

[quote name='WFDT42' date='14 May 2010 - 12:00 AM' timestamp='1273808400' post='381853']

Wilmington Manor 32, New Castle, New Castle County

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=61230]

[/quote]

That's Station 28. Station 32 is a 2-bay station, approximately 3 miles south on U.S. 13, and is Wilmington Manor's sub-station.
[quote name='Dave B.' date='14 May 2010 - 01:13 AM' timestamp='1273812789' post='381857']

That's Station 28. Station 32 is a 2-bay station, approximately 3 miles south on U.S. 13, and is Wilmington Manor's sub-station.

[/quote]

You would be correct Dave, thanks for the correction. I must have gotten my bearings wrong when I was picturing the road in my head lol
Across the highway from Station 28 is the old station, now a hardware store. The station sirens are still on the old hose tower, along with the alerting equipment. I was a member there for four years before joining Newark.
[quote name='Truckman' date='24 April 2010 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1272164998' post='377935']

I remember President Truman. Never knew he went to Dover.

[/quote]

Another thing, I understand that the planes used as Air Force One periodically land and take off at Dover Air Force Base on training missions from Andrews AFB. At least that's what I was told by my late uncle who chose to live in Dover after retiring as a major from the USAF.
Rich Dean, Butler, New Jersey, USA

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

Dispatcher at Butler Police Communications from March 1975 to July 2009

Secretary of North Jersey Volunteer Firemen's Association since 1980

Member of Tri-Boro First Aid Squad (volunteer ems) since 2000 as a driver

Member of many Yahoogroups, owner of some such as:

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

[post="0"]RailfanEvents Yahoogroup[/post]

[post="0"]Railpics Yahoogroup[/post]
Milton FD Station 85

Attached Files Image(s)

Rehoboth Beach VFC Station 86 (The newest addition on the right of the station)

Attached Files Image(s)

Sussex County, DE

Bethany Beach

Station 70

[Image: OceanCity016.jpg]
Matt

Anne Arundel County, Maryland

My Website: www.bythebayphotos.com
Station 35-3, Dupont Company

Stine - Haskell Research Center

Newark, DE
DuPont Company