Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1941 Mack Type 25
This 1941 Type 25 Mack was just purchased by a friend of mine. It will be fully restored. It came from the Reliance Hose Co. in Glassport, PA but not sure if they are the original owners? He purchased it from a scrap yard about 30 miles north of Dubois, PA. The scrap yard told him that a gentleman purchased the hose wagon in 1978 drove it to his house and parked it in a barn where it sat until being towed to the scrap yard. Does anyone have any more pics or information on it? Does Reliance still exist in Glassport?

Scott Mattson pic

[Image: post-154-1153775970.jpg]

Recent photo waiting restoration

[Image: DSC09523.jpg]

[Image: DSC09519.jpg]
that rig is in great shape considering it sat for 32 years. does it run with some help? do you have the Mack serial #? it should be on the officers side seat stand facing out. Whose CF is that in the background? any info on that one?

thanks!

[quote name='T Niss' date='23 November 2010 - 09:19 AM' timestamp='1290520793' post='412576']

This 1941 Type 25 Mack was just purchased by a friend of mine. It will be fully restored. It came from the Reliance Hose Co. in Glassport, PA but not sure if they are the original owners? He purchased it from a scrap yard about 30 miles north of Dubois, PA. The scrap yard told him that a gentleman purchased the hose wagon in 1978 drove it to his house and parked it in a barn where it sat until being towed to the scrap yard. Does anyone have any more pics or information on it? Does Reliance still exist in Glassport?

Scott Mattson pic

[Image: post-154-1153775970.jpg]

Recent photo waiting restoration

[Image: DSC09523.jpg]

[Image: DSC09519.jpg]

[/quote]
I just noticed that the CF is probably the Blue Knob rig.
FDNY, No the transmission is in a box right now. He hasn't tried (at least up until a couple of days ago) to turn the motor over. Body is in good shape with only a couple of spots with surface rust.

The Mack in the back ground is another friends CF. We were out cruising the CF's that day and stopped by to check out the New addition. He also owns a 1937 GMC/ALF, A 1961 Ford F800/ALF and a 1979 GMC/Pierce Mini pumper.

This area of PA is heavely populated by privately owned Apparatus, especially MACKS!
Yes the Blue Knob Mack

http://www.firepics.net/groupboards/inde...opic=16640
[quote name='T Niss' date='23 November 2010 - 10:19 AM' timestamp='1290524341' post='412584']

Yes the Blue Knob Mack

http://www.firepics.net/groupboards/inde...opic=16640

[/quote]

The original picture looks like it was taken in front of Reliance Hose (Glassport No. 2) That station has since been closed.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
Ed,

Did they merge with the other Glassport station?
Updated info. We think that the rig was originally bought by Pittsburgh Steel - United Tube Company.
[quote name='T Niss' date='23 November 2010 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1290540366' post='412608']

Ed,

Did they merge with the other Glassport station?

[/quote]

No. Glassport No.1 is the only company now. They had 2 CF's at one time. Both gone, the last one was replaced a year ago by a Crimson. They still have an L-Model. No. 2 had an engine and an American LaFrance m/m aerial. They were both for sale. I don't think they were sold though.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

[quote name='T Niss' date='24 November 2010 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1290645286' post='412766']

Updated info. We think that the rig was originally bought by Pittsburgh Steel - United Tube Company.

[/quote]

Glassport is next to the City of McKeesport. National Tube was located in McKeesport for years and had their own fire brigade. I know they had a 1938 "E". My friend, John Racke, owned the 1938 E rig. John died in 1997 and his wife sold it to another friend of mine, Rich Fowler from Shaler Twp. Rich traded it to yet another friend of mine, Rick James from State College. Rick has it and over a dozen Macks in his collection. There might be a chance that that truck could have been at National Tube as well.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Confirmed today by the Mack Musuem. This was bought by the National Tube Company. You can still make out the name under where Reliance Hose Co. used to be. Ah yes I know Rick as well. Met him at the Mack Musuem open house. I take it that the National Tube comapny is no more? Also any idea as to what happened to all of the memorabilia from Reliance?
If you need a parts truck for this I knwo where one is.

CosgrStirpot ve
[color="#ff0000"][size="4"]Get In, Sit Down, Hold On and Shut Up[/size][/color]
ok I'll let the owner know. Thanks!
T. Niss do you have a pic of ur buddys gmc mini pumper or do you know where it came from, im looking for a chevy-gmc mini pumper with a Pierce body and it was from freedom pa wasnt sure if it was the same one
relience still has all equpiment and stuff they just dont run calls i believe they still have all the stuff
The GMC mini was origanally from Abington Fire CO. and sold in 1984 to the Bradford Twp. Vol. Fire Co.
So the Reliance still has a building?
Its on google steet view
yes relience still has a building and trucks but are not in service, i believe they still have a club those. the ladder was refurb in like 01 or 02 by keystone fire apparatus, with a new fire body on it
Only thing left in Reliance's building is the Aerial