Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we need to drive a non-essential vehicle this way??
Alright, I am not normally one to start a rants and raves topic but I feel the need to write one for this. Let me start off by saying I am an 18 year member of the volunteer fire service currently serving as Lieautenant at my department. This rant revolves around a video found on Youtube (go figure), there was a video posted recently of Providence, RI Canteen 1 going to a fire call posted from inside. In this video the canteen truck with lights and sirens going, goes into the wrong lane and runs red lights on several occasions. Now, I am not throwing stones at people for things I am not guilty of.. I have driven the engine on the wrong of the side on occasion (just like this unit, my lane of traffic was clear and no one was harmed)... I think my problem with this comes from the fact that it is a canteen truck, I understand the need for rehab and I can understand that dehydration is a huge problem but I am not so sure that this unit needed lights and sirens and I am very sure that they had no need to be in the other lane. I applaud them wanting to get there quickly and I am sure that they do a great job... but some prudence might be required when responding in a canteen truck... watching this video fascinated me and also dissapointed me...I think the actions were unsafe, the driving.. while no one was harmed were uncalled for and I am dissapointed by watching it. Just my 2 cents, maybe I am starting with my period that this got to me...but it struck me as bad and I wanted to share.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG8JJw9JtaI[/media]

Dave Fritz
Rehab on the way. Think about the moon pies. Call me. Life is short.
Patrick Shoop Sr.

Lewistown, PA.
I don't think that the Canteen rig should need to run lights and siren.

I know they have them on the truck, haven't figured out why except to make them a legal emergency vehicle, but why run hot since all you are bringing to the incident is coffee, sodas, water and maybe food.

It should run in a silent mode in my opinion.
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
In defense of the Providence Canteen, they cover an area from Eastern Connecticut, the entire state of Rhode Island and a good deal of the south coast and western part of Southeastern Massachusetts. If you have ever seen the drivers around here, you would understand that if they did not have lights and sirens, they would never make it to most scenes.

Edit: Forgot this...they also cover a good deal of Worcester County in Massachusetts
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Remember too that all the information that the viewers are going on is in the title. We don't know if they were special called to a scene and requested to run code 3 or what the situation was.
just attempted to watch said video and it has been removed by user
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 (KJV)
[quote name='tntway' timestamp='1316038944' post='456700']

just attempted to watch said video and it has been removed by user

[/quote]

yup, video is gone.
Jason Knecht
Fire Inspector
Township Fire Dept., Inc.
Eau Claire, WI
Alright, apperently it was taken down... not so sure that isn't a good thing.
It's gone all right. I obviously can't comment on how the driver was operating the truck in this video but I have seen this truck respond lights and siren on several occasions and can't come up with any complaints. From what I have seen they are a professional origanization and I'm sure they take emergency response seriously. Of course with any group theres someone who acts a certain way or makes a bonehead move that would make them seem unprofessional and this video could have been an exception and not the rule.

But back to the question of should a canteen truck respond lights and sirens? From where I'm sitting as long as the driver is properly qualified to drive an emergency vehicle I say why not.
Since the video in question has been removed, I see no reason to continue this discussion any further.
Jamie Joyce

IND048 [url="http://www.incidentpage.net"]www.incidentpage.net[/url]

My railroad site [url="http://jlj061.rrpicturearchives.net/"]http://jlj061.rrpicturearchives.net/[/url]