Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Jersey Firehouses
West End Hose Company #3. I spent countless hours at this fire house as a kid and even now I still go back to see the few members that I know from years ago. This station had renovations done to it to increase the size of the bay doors due to new apparatus being purchased. Unfortunately those changes included removing the brass poles! You will notice the change in the brick work where the alterations were done. Along with Engine 3's new rig, Truck Company #1(Central Hook and Ladder) moved in to this station upon the delivery of their new truck, a 100 ft TDA. Engine #2 is also housed here.

Attached Files Image(s)

The rear of West End Hose's station showing the drive through bays. The bay to the left is Truck #1's and does get used for its intended purpose. Engine #2 was in the bay to the right the last time I was in the firehouse.

Attached Files Image(s)

The original West End Hose Company's station, dating back to 1888, is now the Exempt Fireman's Museum.

Attached Files Image(s)

Keystone at the top of the station.

Attached Files Image(s)

Wall plaque.

Attached Files Image(s)

Another wall plaque.

Attached Files Image(s)

Somerville FD Lincoln Hose Company #4.

Attached Files Image(s)

The "Links" previous station dating back to 1901

Attached Files Image(s)

Somerville FD's Central Hook And Ladder's previous station prior to moving into West End's station. The street has been closed to vehicular traffic and is now a common area. The old apparatus bay is the storefront with the windows framed in red. I don't know the status of the 2nd and 3rd floors now.

Attached Files Image(s)

The "Hooks" previous station. It was always impressive to watch generations worth of tractor drawn aerials pull in and out of this fire station.

Attached Files Image(s)

Somerset County Station 52-1 Raritan FD.

Attached Files Image(s)

And the oldest continually active fire station in Somerset County, Raritan Fire Department station 52-2. The RFD's Tower Ladder is housed here. There is also a supplemental building to the rear of the station.

Attached Files Image(s)

I just realized that I forgot one final Hunterdon County Fire Station. Amwell Valley Fire Company (Ringoes) Station 48.

Attached Files Image(s)

The rear of station 48.

Attached Files Image(s)

And finally their supplemental building behind the main fire station.

Attached Files Image(s)

Somerville West End during SFD Centennial in 1988.

John Floyd photos, my collection

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Another...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have pictures from that day some where. The poles that were removed during construction changes are visible in the tall glass windows between the two bay doors. There is one in the front and another visible in the same location in the rear if you look through the station.

Here are a few pictures after much of the construction changes had been completed. Some work was still on going when I took these. Cleary visible is Truck 1 in it's new home. You can see the differences to the width and height of the doors by looking at the difference in the color of the brickwork around he doors. The large vertical glass window used to run from the top of the station all the way to the ground. This is the view from the front of the station.

Attached Files Image(s)

And from the rear. Work was still being completed when I took these pictures.

Attached Files Image(s)