Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horry County SC
http://m.wmbfnews.com/wmbfnews/db_330822...d=u0uRfSU4
sounds like they are living up to their history. Keep Mechanics Employed

Jon and I photographed several of the KME's in August; both aerials, the tanker and a couple engines.  We saw several more of the engines and heard stories about some of the problems, but most of them were in service the week we were there.

Rushed orders due to strict timelines and overwhelming large orders at one time.
Within 1 year my department took delivery of a KME tower and a rescue engine from another company. The tower has not spent any extended periods of time at the dealer, the rescue-engine on the other hand has been out of service for 208 days out of the 2 years we've had it. And it's scheduled to go out for another 2-3 weeks next week. 

Update of the KME issue

http://wbtw.com/2017/01/19/mechanical-is...he-street/
The rushed order thing is a problem with several of the manufacturers. When we took delivery of the 4 engines and the tiller, every time at Pierce they were busier than the time before. Started hiring a bunch of new people ( i think it was over 100 at the time). The issues we had were fit and finish from them being rushed. The biggest issue was coolant leaks on the engines from the Cummins motors. The tiller on the other hand has done really well (Big Block Detriot) other than the fit and finish at the beginning. They were really good about it and understood the problem and were trying to fix it. The dealer has been awesome about working with us and getting stuff fixed quickly though. 

It seems to me that Pierce, Rosenbauer, KME, and Spartan ER/Smeal are so busy that delivery times are all over the map....13-15 months, and some are even pushing 18-20 months.  Ferrara, E\-One, and Sutphen are also very busy, but seem to be managing their floors well, from what I can see.  Anywhere from 8-12 months.  I don't know anything about HME.  And Seagrave seems to have settled into being a low volume, high end builder...their deliveries are right on time, 8-12 months.  Obviously, you don't want a rushed rig, but you also don't want to wait forever.  Sometimes, a late penalty can cause a builder to rush your rig in order to avoid the penalty.  But, if you don't include a late penalty, there may not be any urgency in completing your rig.  Its a funny business.      

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY

Horry County, South Carolina Fire Rescue recently took delivery of eight new Pierce pumpers. All are 2017 Pierce Enforcer Custom Cab and chassis rigs with 1500 GPM pumps, 1000 GWT and 25 GFT with Pierce-Husky 3 Foam Systems.