Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tripods?
Do any of you take and use your tripods at fire scenes, particularly nighttime and low-light scenes?
American Red Cross - DAT Captain
Member 4-2-4 - 5-11 Club of Chicago

I keep one in my car should the need to use one arise. Yes,

I have used one.

tHANKs
tHANKs
I keep one in the car just in case. I've only used it for apparatus photos, I personally find it kinda awkward trying to move around with it so it dosnt get much use.
Yeah, on 99% of occasions, I don't bother with my tripod either. In reviewing the low-light shots, I wondered if I would've done better with a bit more stability. Eh, next time I'll dig out my f/2.8 glass instead of the higher ISO stuff.

I have a tripod, but have never used it for a fire...I really bought it so I could shoot video of parades and keep my hands free to shot stills. I do have a monopod for fireground photos which is a more practical option, but can't say I've ever used it.
I always use a monopod at nighttime fire scenes. I find it very easy to carry around. I think a tripod would be way to bulky.
John Kenealy

[url="http://www.cnyfiretrucks.com"]CNYFiretrucks.com: Over 5200 photos of apparatus from over 1000 New York State Departments![/url]

[Image: IMAG0400.jpg] New York
Look at my profile Signature !
I've used tripods, I've wrapped the camera strap around objects tightly to hold the camera steady, I've placed the camera on objects and used the timer function, hand held the camera, placed it on a my camera bag, you name it, I've probably done it. I would like to get one of those gorilla tripods (I think that is what they are called). Small enough to easily carry around and look to be quite versatile.
Yeah, I've seen the Joby Gorillapod and they do look awesome.

The 2-11 I was at had no really GOOD solid surface to put a Gorillapod onto in the light conditions we had and the evacuation boundary further than expected and further than usual (according to one of the Lt.'s wife who was there to watch.)

Just trying to figure out a good way to shoot low-light (I was at ISO 2000 and didn't want to go higher than that) without the blur.

[quote name='Cyber' timestamp='1335313163' post='482881']

Just trying to figure out a good way to shoot low-light (I was at ISO 2000 and didn't want to go higher than that) without the blur.

[/quote]

The answer isn't a tripod, it's better glass. Unfortunately better = much more expensive. I shoot between 1/8 sec. and 1/20 sec (handheld) available light with lenses that are f2.0 across the entire zoom at ISO 800. The drawback is that the lenses were $2000 each. You're always gonna get some blur whenever there is motion and your shutter is that slow.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Ouch, $2k for glass!! (nice glass though, that's for sure!)

I have f/2.8 so I'll practice with those and see if I can get them sharper.

Anyone figure out how to minimize the impact of the red lights when shooting around nightime apparatus fire scene? The red LED just floods the image and ruins it when shooting without flash.

Any tips or tricks?
Quote:Anyone figure out how to minimize the impact of the red lights when shooting around nightime apparatus fire scene? The red LED just floods the image and ruins it when shooting without flash.

Any tips or tricks?

Hmmmm...might have to try it out some night to see if I can come up with anything for you.

Quote:The answer isn't a tripod, it's better glass. Unfortunately better = much more expensive. I shoot between 1/8 sec. and 1/20 sec (handheld) available light with lenses that are f2.0 across the entire zoom at ISO 800. The drawback is that the lenses were $2000 each. You're always gonna get some blur whenever there is motion and your shutter is that slow.
Ed can you provide a link to that type of lens?
-Eric Fellows

[url="http://www.ericsfirepics.com"]Eric's Fire Pics[/url]
Tripod first, then flash, then...I shoot up to 6400 iso, have set shutter to stay at 1/200 whenever possible, fstop set around 5.6 ...results are better than soft, blurry unusable pics. Use noise reduction as in Lightroom 4 and pics are acceptable (not all but some). Would be nice to have pro glass but yes it is expensive.

I use a monopod and crank up the iso!  Then run the images thru Noise NInja.  Checkout my pics  titled mva colonial heights, va 2-19-12 in the fire scenes section.  They were shot with a monopod, iso 6400, canon 200mm 2.8 with just lights of cars going bye