Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PA Dept of Military and Veterans Affairs
Last August, while driving on Fort Indiantown Gap (near Annville, north of Harrisburg, PA), I came upon these two pieces of fire apparatus. They appeared to be sitting outdoors and no one seemed to know what they were there for. There have been issues, to say the least, with funding the fire department at "The Gap" so one has to wonder why they would increase the size of their fleet.

Anyway, the first was lettered for "Naval Air Station Key West."

[Image: DSCN1527.jpg]

The second was lettered for the "Philadelphia Naval Shipyard"

[Image: DSCN1525.jpg]
Hardy, William C

Larimer VFD, Westmoreland County Station 1

Westinghouse Waltz Mill VFB, Westmoreland County Station 116
Well, my questions were answered last week while at Annual Training. The apparatus is used by the "Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs Forestry Department." From what I gather, from the Assistant Post Commander, is that they respond to fires in the Corridor area of Fort Indiantown Gap. The area, between two ridges, is home to numerous ranges supporting small arms up to 155mm artillery, in addition to three demolition ranges. They are not affiliated with the Gap fire department, and respond only to "wildland" fires.

[Image: DSCN1639.jpg]

This one was there too, the plate still said "US Air Force." It has an E\-One body.

[Image: DSCN1662.jpg]

Rear end

[Image: DSCN1664.jpg]

Finally a closeup of the logo on the yellow brush unit. Looks like a magnet over the NAS Key West logo.

[Image: DSCN1641.jpg]
Hardy, William C

The red ambulance-looking unit was seen at their building further up the road, I was unable to get a better photograph of it. There was an old 5T water truck (seen in between the first two photographs) that appears to be in the same spot it was last year.

As of now, the two units are stored in a range maintenance building and happened to be sitting outside when I drove by.

Any comments or further information is appreciated. Thanks for looking.
Hardy, William C

Good photos!

tHANKs
tHANKs
Anyone know the "M" series number on that former OD green Air Force rig?
Where these parked out in the Range areas?  That is quite interesting.  Have to see if I can find out more.

Darin Smith

Hughesville, PA
Darin,

They were at the corner of Range Road and Asher Miner Road.  The maintenance building is there too, it is a plain-looking metal pole building.

See what you can find out.

Bill

Hardy, William C