what do you guys bring to a scene
what gear do you bring to a fire scene

1. camera with extra batteries and memory cards

2. radio

3. bunker gear

4. safety vest (mostly for mvc's)

5. Laptop

1. Camera 

2. Fire Scene Photographer Vest, (Some departments allow me to wear this, I never do unless approved.)

3. Scanner With Headphones.

4. I have a Photographer helmet in my truck.

5. Note Pad

6. Photographer/Media ID Badge.

7. Business Cards

Most of the fires that I get too are in some bad areas of Las Vegas so I keep it to a minimum

Camera with a second lens in my pocket

business cards

note pad

I try and stick close to the news media and make sure I park as close to the scene as I can.

Dave
Two cameras. I leave the camera bag with spare batteries and flash units locked in the car.

This time of year, my most important piece of gear is fingerless gloves.
never thought about getting Business Cards hummm

What do yall do to keep your camera from freezing? The screen display is usually grumpy on mine in the winter and sometimes the whole camera acts up
Quote:What do yall do to keep your camera from freezing? The screen display is usually grumpy on mine in the winter and sometimes the whole camera acts up
Hi Josh... I was photographing eagles on Sunday in Red Wing. It was -14F at the time. No problems with the camera freezing, but my exposed finger tips were another story...
Hey guys, new to the site. Spent a year as a PFF with my local volunteer fire company before deciding I probably should have started 20 years sooner, and now I'm the photographer. So far just shooting events but will be running crew again (yay!) and shooting scenes soon (once I trade my probie gear for photog gear). Also curious as to the best gear for fire scene photography. Wish I could have sprung for a 5DMk4 but budget led me to the 80D instead. All I have right now for glass is the 28-135mm zoom. Renting the 24-105mm f/4L, and was thinking the 24-70 f/2.8 might be better, but now that I think about it, that lens might be better for apparatus shots (although I would love some advice there as well). Now I'm leaning towards the 70-200mm f/2.8 (if I can sell a kidney) for shooting on the fireground.

Thanks and I've enjoyed the pics I've seen on the site so far.

Mike

1. Camera (in rain jacket depending on weather)

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">2. Fire Department Photographer Coat, Sweatshirt, or T-shirt depending upon the weather. 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">3. Radio with remote speaker

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">4. Helmet

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">5. Flashlight

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">6. Extra batteries and cards in the car

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 
Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>
1. Camera equipment (6D with 16-35 f2.8 and spare body, 7D with 70-200 f2.8), spare batteries, etc.

2. My truck

2. Internet access

3. Laptops

4. Portable radio

5. Card reader/USB cable to download the camera

6. FD attire (and/or reflective FD traffic vest)

7. Business cards

8. Really, most important - positive attitide!
(01-20-2017, 05:51 PM)michaeld120 Wrote: Hey guys, new to the site. Spent a year as a PFF with my local volunteer fire company before deciding I probably should have started 20 years sooner, and now I'm the photographer. So far just shooting events but will be running crew again (yay!) and shooting scenes soon (once I trade my probie gear for photog gear). Also curious as to the best gear for fire scene photography. Wish I could have sprung for a 5DMk4 but budget led me to the 80D instead. All I have right now for glass is the 28-135mm zoom. Renting the 24-105mm f/4L, and was thinking the 24-70 f/2.8 might be better, but now that I think about it, that lens might be better for apparatus shots (although I would love some advice there as well). Now I'm leaning towards the 70-200mm f/2.8 (if I can sell a kidney) for shooting on the fireground.

Thanks and I've enjoyed the pics I've seen on the site so far.

Mike
For fire scene photography, I use one lens 28-200. You don't want to be changing lenses at a fire scene, miss an important shot, debris getting inside the camera.  For apparatus photography I use 28-50 lens.  For air shows I use a 70-300.

Dan
michaeld120 Since you are the photographer with the department I assume you have the ability to get in fairly close. If you are able to get in close I would recomend a 24-70 f2.8. That is the lens I use almost exclusively. I have a 70-200 f2.8 in my bag but it rarely comes out since I am generally too close in for it to be effective. The 24-105 f4 may also be a good option since it has a little better range.
Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>
Quote:Hey guys, new to the site. Spent a year as a PFF with my local volunteer fire company before deciding I probably should have started 20 years sooner, and now I'm the photographer. So far just shooting events but will be running crew again (yay!) and shooting scenes soon (once I trade my probie gear for photog gear). Also curious as to the best gear for fire scene photography. Wish I could have sprung for a 5DMk4 but budget led me to the 80D instead. All I have right now for glass is the 28-135mm zoom. Renting the 24-105mm f/4L, and was thinking the 24-70 f/2.8 might be better, but now that I think about it, that lens might be better for apparatus shots (although I would love some advice there as well). Now I'm leaning towards the 70-200mm f/2.8 (if I can sell a kidney) for shooting on the fireground.

Hi there,

I'm a newbie too, and I work as a photographer in Corpus Christi Fire Department. Previously, I used to combine by biochemistry projects and photography and was taken aback by the news that our dep was about to get closed.
I'm using 24-70 f2.8 lens and seems to me that's the perfect choice.
(12-19-2016, 07:22 PM)grubber33270 Wrote: 4. I have a Photographer helmet in my truck.

What kind of helmet? A Bullard wildfire helmet with "Photographer" decals? Or something else?