Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tillered Rescue with a Crane
Portland Fire & Rescue has received a new tillered rescue truck, believed to be the first tillered rescue

with a crane ever made. If anyone knows of another, please let us know.

Squad 1 is a Pierce Arrow XT model truck, similar to a tillered ladder truck, but a few feet shorter.

The crane is an IMT Model 30-217K8, built by Pierce's sister company, the Iowa Mold Tooling Co.

At the maximum extension of 69 feet it can lift 1435 pounds, but at the minimum extension it can lift 22,045 pounds.

Squad 1 is in the familiarization and training stage before going into service in the next few weeks.

[Image: p1469919618-4.jpg]

[Image: p1469919638-4.jpg]

[Image: p1469919652-4.jpg]

[Image: p1469919674-4.jpg]

Pulley for the 124 foot long cable.
[Image: p1469919698-5.jpg]

Crane controller.
[Image: p1469919732-4.jpg]
[Image: p1469919748-4.jpg]

[Image: p1469919768-4.jpg]

Crane fully extended.
[Image: p1469919784-4.jpg]

Some interior views. First from the tiller seat.
[Image: p1469919798-4.jpg]

There are cameras on both side to help the tillerman (tiller person?) see the blind spots near the trailer.
[Image: p1469919824-4.jpg]

[Image: p1469919814-4.jpg]

Two TICs (Thermal Imaging Cameras) in the 6-man cab.
[Image: p1469919844-4.jpg]

Air tank holders in both jump seats.
[Image: p1469919860-4.jpg]

[Image: p1469919876-4.jpg]

Looking forward over the cab roof.
[Image: p1469919894-4.jpg]

[Image: p1469919914-4.jpg]

[Image: p1469919932-4.jpg]

A shape looking rig, Dick.

John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
Jesus what a beast!!

Looks awesome. How much was it?

Jason Knecht
Fire Inspector
Township Fire Dept., Inc.
Eau Claire, WI
Can the trailer be dropped and the cab utilized for the Crane in a "Limited Space" area? Or does the trailer contain tank/pump or whatever for the crane?

Good photos, Dick!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Quote:Jesus what a beast!!

Looks awesome. How much was it?

$1,200,000
Quote:Can the trailer be dropped and the cab utilized for the Crane in a "Limited Space" area? Or does the trailer contain tank/pump or whatever for the crane?
Good question. I think some components are on the trailer.
That's a Go-Light on the cab next to the HVAC.

I've been following the construction and delivery of this rig, so I appreciate the close-ups. I was wondering what made the department explore such a unusual rig?
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time for all the detailed shots!

#1: This rig is awesome.

#2: Dick's photos of this rig are equally awesome.

#3: This rig may have the single greatest collection of stick figure warning men in the history of the universe.  I know I'm probably evil and/or warped for thinking it, but they all are cracking me up.

In one of the photos from the tiller mans seat you can see a turn signal switch, why is that? I thought all controls were from the front as far as signals and lights etc...

Thanks in advance.
Quote:In one of the photos from the tiller mans seat you can see a turn signal switch, why is that? I thought all controls were from the front as far as signals and lights etc...

Thanks in advance.
There are quite a few details like that I will check out. Good observation.
Quote:That's a Go-Light on the cab next to the HVAC.

I've been following the construction and delivery of this rig, so I appreciate the close-ups. I was wondering what made the department explore such a unusual rig?
One reason I have heard is we are on one or more fault lines and expect a major earthquake someday. Our West Hills has steep, narrow, winding streets and many homes built right on the edge as seen here.

[Image: p1016763979-4.jpg]

[Image: p965295231-4.jpg]
My First Question is why would they allow a house to be built like that?

My department utilizes several tractor-drawn aerials.  One of the prime reasons we use these is for maneuverability in congested areas, such as downtown, apartment complexes, and etc.  Additionally, the TDA's tend to have more compartment space for storage.  While we've operated TDAs for a long time, we had a hiatus from ordering them for about 20 years and spec'ed only 100' rearmounts.  When we started ordering them again, one of the concepts was to utilize these truck companies on the outskirts of town as "super" trucks.  This meant that in addition to carrying your normal truck stuff, you'd have extra tools and equipment to function essentially as a rescue company as well.

What is the rationale behind a tractor-drawn rescue vehicle?  My guess is for some of the same reasons?  Was any consideration ever given into making this a "super-truck" with not only the crane, but also a main ladder to give it additional flexibility on rescue responses?  

Was consideration given to having this vehicle built without the need for a tillerman?  

Sharpe Looking Rig...Great Shots!

Great photos!  Thanks for the detail shots...would love to see how they set up the compartments if anyone has any photos of them.

From article in Fire Rescue magazine, tiller design was for maneuverability in congested areas with narrow streets and in post-earthquake debris-filled streets.  Also easier to fit in some stations since it is long and not overly tall, per article.

Thanks,

Gary

Quote:My department utilizes several tractor-drawn aerials.  One of the prime reasons we use these is for maneuverability in congested areas, such as downtown, apartment complexes, and etc.  Additionally, the TDA's tend to have more compartment space for storage.  While we've operated TDAs for a long time, we had a hiatus from ordering them for about 20 years and spec'ed only 100' rearmounts.  When we started ordering them again, one of the concepts was to utilize these truck companies on the outskirts of town as "super" trucks.  This meant that in addition to carrying your normal truck stuff, you'd have extra tools and equipment to function essentially as a rescue company as well.

What is the rationale behind a tractor-drawn rescue vehicle?  My guess is for some of the same reasons?  Was any consideration ever given into making this a "super-truck" with not only the crane, but also a main ladder to give it additional flexibility on rescue responses?  

Was consideration given to having this vehicle built without the need for a tillerman?  

Quote:My department utilizes several tractor-drawn aerials.  One of the prime reasons we use these is for maneuverability in congested areas, such as downtown, apartment complexes, and etc.  Additionally, the TDA's tend to have more compartment space for storage.  While we've operated TDAs for a long time, we had a hiatus from ordering them for about 20 years and spec'ed only 100' rearmounts.  When we started ordering them again, one of the concepts was to utilize these truck companies on the outskirts of town as "super" trucks.  This meant that in addition to carrying your normal truck stuff, you'd have extra tools and equipment to function essentially as a rescue company as well.

Since I only take the pictures, I have no knowledge of the thoughts behind specifying the rig.
Quote:In one of the photos from the tiller mans seat you can see a turn signal switch, why is that? I thought all controls were from the front as far as signals and lights etc...

Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing it was a stock piece and it controls a windshield wiper on the tillermans cab.
Does anyone have the spec's and drawings for this rig & it's sister aerial?  I checked Hughes Fire and while they have some drawings for delivered units, this unit and or drawings are not up on the page. 

Nothing on Pierce's web site either.

Kris