Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vintage books on firefighting / fire service
As something of a history nerd, I've collected a nice size collection of tactics guides, operators manuals, early IFSTA manuals etc.

Some of my "gems" are a 1938 printing of the 1st edition Fire Chief's Handbook (first printing was 1932), a 1961 printing of the 2nd edition Fire Chief's Handbook (first printing was 1960), 1970 printings of Lloyd Layman's (the RECEO guy) Firefighting Tactics and Attacking and Extinguishing Interior Fires (original print runs were 1953 and 1955) and a 1953 US Forest Service Fireman's Guide.

I really like how these books help to capture past practices such as discussion of the merits between a sponge mask (yes, a mask with a wet sponge used to filter the smoke), all service gas mask and rebreathers. Also how "new" technology is introduced such as Chemox rebreathers and the SCBA in the 1950s. Also neat tidbits of trivia such as prior to 1960, 500 GPM pumpers outsold all other sizes combined.

Recently I've scored a number of NFPA "A Fire Officer's Guide" from the 1960s and 70s which is kind of what inspired this post.

I was wondering if anyone has a list of the whole series that they published.

Anyone else collect old fire books?

and since a picture is worth 1000 words. Fireman

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aaron Woods
Hi Aaron.. I do and have been collecting fire books for more than 35 years but only have a few tactics-type books. Had more than 200 text and tactics books at one time but donated them after I retired. I still have a huge collection of fire-rescue related and fire dept histories though.

Scott