Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotted at the KME plant . . .
I was at the KME plant in Nesquehoning, PA on Tuesday & Wednesday, and while we were zipping around in one of the corporate golf cart buggies I spotted this cab in primer sitting out in the yard:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/image_zpsb5844eb8.jpg.html'>[Image: image_zpsb5844eb8.jpg]</a>

I wondered if it was what I thought it was . . . And a few guarded answers revealed that yes, in fact it is. This is the prototype for KME's split-tilt cab for the FDNY. Sorry for the poor photo quality but it was taken on the fly and the next time we went by that spot it was gone.
Damn I would have thought that it wouldn't have a Keystone grille.
Can this pic be shared Chief?
Quote: 

Damn I would have thought that it wouldn't have a Keystone grille.

Yes, that kind of surprised me, too.

Quote: 

Can this pic be shared Chief?

Sure, I took it. Wish it was a little better quality, but sometimes you take what you can get.

Quote:Yes, that kind of surprised me, too.

Sure, I took it. Wish it was a little better quality, but sometimes you take what you can get.

Thanx Chief! You grabbed the first shot of wht a lot of people are waiting to see. Lol
Quote:Yes, that kind of surprised me, too.

I wish we didn't do it on the last two units we got. The next ones will have the "Classic" look
Seems like a pretty common "mistake" . . . the two units we have under construction (one to directly follow the other) were specified with the classic square grille, but the first unit has the keystone. Can't just swap it out,if you look close the light bezels on the front of the cab are staggered a bit to accommodate the keystone grille shape, where the square classic style has them directly above each other. Oh well, we don't want them different so it looks like both will have the keystone.

It amazes me how many people are against the Keystone style grille, I'm right there with you Smile. That was, in all actuality, the only thing that I didn't want to see on these new engines, that grille and staggered headlights.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
So they get an order for two pieces and can't get them to be identical as ordered? Seems to confirm everything I thought about KME. Anyone catch the tower ladder at Baltimore this year that had half the bolts on it loose...

Commish

You have two trucks on order: i thought it was just one. Did u get any photos of your trucks under construction.

Im sure they will work out great. We in philly switched back to KME with the lastest pumper order and they have worked with no problems; especially with the lack of preventative mantaince program and the philly sts beat them. DEF really is a problem for all engine builders rite know; I believe the EPA have made fire apparatus exempt now. KME makes a good truck for some reason people like to bash them off second hand info; nobody makes an apparatus that doesnt have problems.

Quote: DEF really is a problem for all engine builders rite know; I believe the EPA have made fire apparatus exempt now. 

Only sort-of.  The rigs are still required to use DEF, just the regeneration requirements were updated.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Here's the first Syracuse unit (2000gpm / 55' FireStix telescoping boom), due for completion by the 1st week of September,

[Image: 2013-08-14_091147_zps615c8b64.jpg]

And here's the keystone grille. I guess it's OK.

[Image: 2013-08-14_093833_zps2028ddd3.jpg]

The second identical Syracuse unit is due for completion by January.

Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
KME and no Syracuse shelf light? This makes me sad.

We originally had the typical Syracuse low-level light bar just below the windshield, but the four 6-bulb LEDs actually provide more light, changeable flash patterns and less amp draw for less cost. It was certainly worth making the change. As for KME, they know they are receiving a lot of scrutiny on these two rigs. So far they have been great, but time will tell, of course. I could not in good conscience disregard a manufacturer we haven't dealt with in 14 years . . . After all, I have heard horror stories about every single fire apparatus manufacturer. A lot of it starts with the specifications. I write my own, and if you get that right (and know what to look for on factory visits and what questions to ask) you can get a good vehicle from any of the major manufacturers. It never cease to amaze me how many departments complain about the "junk" they got from builder XYZ . . . One look at their specs, their truck committee, and their factory inspection process (usually involving a lot of golf and alcohol) and anyone could have predicted disaster. Generally speaking, you get exactly what you ask for. Make certain you know what to ask for, how to ask for it, and how to be certain you get it. If you don't have that expertise (and very few departments actually do, although they all think they do) . . . hire someone who does. You won't regret it.
Well said Commish.

I must say when my department decided to by a KME I had reservations but the committee explained that they were the most responsive to the bid specs. I will say after dealing with very MFGs over the years I was worried about walking into a yellow Butler building to do a pre build on a over a half a million rig but once inside and sitting down in front of a 60" screen hooked to a lap top it was an excellent experience compared to a mighty MFG's prebuild done on legal pads or another's dry erase board. One of our committee members sold rigs for a very large dealer in the state for 15 years and he was floored on how KME's process worked. On site CAD and 3D modeling made sure everything would fit and no extra shelves ending up on the bay floor after the rig was delivered. The rig met the specs, wants, and needs 100% even if there is no where to party in the LeHi Valley. The committee members raved so much about the experience a few met with very high ups of a very big MFG about the KME process which has now become the industry standard.

Two years later KME won on two more units and quite a few were upset that the MFG that built the previous units didn't win but again KME amazed them with the process and their willingness to make a "Crazy" component work and they did which other MFG's came in in the cover of darkness to meet with KME engineers to see how they did it. I would like to thank a very large FD out west for saving the "Classic Grille" but that was after our two rigs were under construction and it wasn't available when they hit the line.

Being a KME customer I get strange looks and hear all the bashing but over all it has been the best experience out of 15rigs I have been involved with. It had been 24 years since some one in my region bought KME's the last department has just now are dx'ing them. I will say for me its about customers service which KME and their dealer have done a great job taking care of us unlike after buying 9 rigs from a very close dealer from a very big MFG can't even say hi to me at a show. I guess once you land the big fish the little guys get dumped out into the pond.

So far so good with little to no issues except one component that isn't KME built but they are willing to fix it once I can afford to get the rig off the street. The FDNY deal does concern me but we shall see.

Funny about the light bar change in Syracuse, the same thing happen to the FD north of me for the same reasons but the rank and file are still upset. The again it's the fire service so traditions die hard.
I have always tried to make changes to our specifications in an evolutionary rather than revolutionary basis . . . I believe our personnel will accept the front low-level lighting changes when they see the upgrade it represents. Part of the continued success we have enjoyed with our apparatus configurations is due to our (okay, my) insistence on end-user involvement. Yes, we have a VERY small truck committee, sometimes as small as 2, but that doesn't mean we don't solicit input from the rank &file. I have always made it a point to ask the drivers of our busiest engine companies what we're doing right and what we could do better. When new generations of Syracuse engines started to show up with many of their suggestions included, they knew that we were actually listening to them. That meant a lot, and has paid continuing dividends. As it says in Luke 10:37, "Go thou, and do likewise."
Update . . . KME now says this is NOT the FDNY cab, it is for York, PA. Sorry for the error.

But the question is... is it REALLY not for FDNY, or is that the story now?

Sadly, I was hoping you were going to say Update- KME now says that they can change the grille on our trucks.

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
But the question is... is it REALLY not for FDNY, or is that the story now? . . .

Yeah, I had the same thought - but I can only go by what they tell me. Which was first that it is, and now that it ain't.

Anyone from York PA who can confirm it's theirs?