Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1979 Crown Firecoach
I recently acquired this Crown pumper from the Willcox Rural Fire Department in Willcox, AZ (approx 90 minutes north of the Mexican border).  The truck, Crown F1808, was originally purchased by the Avalon City Fire Department, Avalon, CA, which happens to be on Catalina Island.  Once the truck was declared surplus by Avalon approximately 5 years ago, it entered private ownership, and was used for parties and such.  When that individual was able to purchase another Crown, he put her up for sale on eBay, where she was purchased by the department in Willcox.  After about 3 years, Willcox made the determination that the truck was not being utilized enough for their specific needs and area, so they offered her up for sale.  

She is presently being watched over by a family friend in southern AZ where some PM work and new steer tires are getting installed.  She appears to be in good mechanical shape (keeping fingers crossed), but a more thorough check needs to be done before any major driving takes place.  Once that's completed, it will be time to check on some paint.

Eventually she will make the trip east and join our other Crown, F1627, and be out on the muster circuit before too long.  

Attached Files Image(s)

Doing a little PM work on F1808 back in November.  Hopefully, she will be ready for her trip back to PA this spring when the weather warms up and the holiday bills are paid off!

Attached Files Image(s)

Another angle since both photos I've posted look almost identical.

Attached Files Image(s)

Congrats on the purchasing the rig. I shot this rig I guess just after Avalon got rid of it. Saw it parked across the road from Eagle Rock Plaza, on my way into work. Did not know at the time, it was ex-Avalon FD. Shot 12/16/07.

Attached Files Image(s)

I remember seeing this Crown when I was on Catalina island in Avalon close to 20 years ago. I had pictures but over time lost track of them. I would say that is a pretty rare piece with low miles. I do remember they had a sign on the old station just off the main street that " a Crown Firecoach lived there"
After some unexpected delays, F1808 finally began her trip to PA the last week of June

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

She arrived late on July 1st.  The fun, but expected slow restoration will begin shortly.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

An updated picture of E868 aka F1808 after adding the light bar and cleaning her up some.  

Attached Files Image(s)

good looking rig

Dave
7/4/15 - Taken during staging for the Sparta NJ, 4th of July parade.  

Attached Files Image(s)

7/4/15 - At staging for the Sparta, NJ 4th of July parade with both of our Crowns.  The first is F1627, a 1970 and the second, F1808, 1979.

This would be the first and only time our Crowns would be together.  Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, my 1979 was sold to another collector in Jan 2016.

Attached Files Image(s)